Solved Choice of Aircraft

Ideally_Inventive

Hello, new to the forums, 1 year of flying experience with power pack A aircraft (mainly tiny trainer with expanded wing) I got a power pack C recently, and I want to build a new airplane. Any suggestions on what to build? (I am interested in the war-birds)

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
If your looking for the standard ones the Mig-3 has proven to be a good flier capable of being docile but still able to be quite aerobatic when ya want it to be. Another one I liked till a linkage failure shortened it's life was the mini P-39 from Grifflier here on the forums.

Flyingshark

Master member
Hello, new to the forums, 1 year of flying experience with power pack A aircraft (mainly tiny trainer with expanded wing) I got a power pack C recently, and I want to build a new airplane. Any suggestions on what to build? (I am interested in the war-birds)
Mainly the prop-type driven ww2 warbirds
I'm building the FT Spitfire right now. I've got some prior flying experience, and have built the FT Long-EZ from a SBK. I would recommend the Spitfire, but you should probably watch the review video(s) on youtube first before you decide. I chose it because I thought it could grow with me, by dialing up the throws as I got more comfortable flying. Of the FT Mustang, P-40, and the Spit, I've heard that the Spitfire is the fastest, which might be both a good and a bad quality. (I don't know much about the Mig-3.) I've been building my Spitfire from the plans, which has been a fun challenge, though I've run into a couple of minor difficulties.

Ideally_Inventive

Thank you for the suggestions! I know about the spitfire (when I first knew of flite test I watched the build video and about 10 months later I built a 200% scale one :sneaky:.) I think I might go with the spitfire but the master series are speaking to me. I don't mind the more intense build process, I don't know what to do about the plywood spars required for the master series aircraft. (I scratch-build :cool:)

leaded50

Legendary member
Thank you for the suggestions! I know about the spitfire (when I first knew of flite test I watched the build video and about 10 months later I built a 200% scale one :sneaky:.) I think I might go with the spitfire but the master series are speaking to me. I don't mind the more intense build process, I don't know what to do about the plywood spars required for the master series aircraft. (I scratch-build :cool:)
try to get a bit of plywood, or thin glassfiber eg. to use as spar, it keeps the wing more secure...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The first version of the Spitfire would be a good and simple build without too many handling problems. My experience is that it is the slowest of the early warbird designs and has a good turn of speed if required. The only real issue is that the rudder is not as effective as many would like especially at low speed. Stall was not overly vicious and it was very predictable.

As a second or third plane it has its value.

Just my thoughts!

Flyingshark

Master member
Maybe a cut down yardstick? That might be easier to shape than plywood, as long as it still was strong enough.

moke

I did the P40 for first build with C pack. This was recommended by other guys I fly with. Turned out to be good advice. Step up in complexity of build without stepping into master series. And flew perfectly first time. Very stable and able to step up to some pretty good higher performance with it

Ideally_Inventive

Thanks for the suggestions. The one question I currently have is why the FT mustang is not being mentioned. Is there a flaw that makes it less wanted? Or is it just not common to build?

Flyingshark

Master member
Thank you for your help! I decided to go with the ft spitfire. I will post my finished craft soon. Is there a certain place to do that or just do it on this thread?
You could make a new thread somewhere else on the forums, if you wanted. I haven't found an FT Spitfire "place" yet. (I ended up putting my Spit build under "Swappables and other FT designs.")

Also, is your avatar an indication of the paint job you are planning, or is it purely a coincidence that it's a Spitfire?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I dont think reinforcing the spar on the Spit is necessary. You are just starting out and there should be no reason why you need a spar stronger then the one provided. It will just add weight and force you to fly faster to keep it above stall speed.

I have crashed the Spit many times and the wing never broke. I also did the removable wing option on mine and the problem i noticed in a crash was the wing would force itself through the bottom of the nose on impact. I would suggest to solid mount the wing but doesnt need spar reinforcement. I flew mine like i stole it too. Never an issue with spar breakage.

After all it is just foam board, if you do break the wing it is just a few bucks for some more FB and a few hours of time to build a new one.

Another tip would be to keep your templates to use to repair any damages later.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the others, lots of good suggestions.
Until you get the new plane built, I’d like to encourage you to keep flying the TT. Try moving the CG aft, 1/4 inch & increase the throws. If you have maxed out the Tx, move the linkage. On the control surface, move to an inner hole, on the servo move to an outer hole.

Hopefully you can fly the TT inverted across the field.

Ideally_Inventive

The avatar was a coincidence for the type of aircraft, and the point of the plastic spar was for the master series aircraft and not for the basic ft spitfire. I'm not sure about the paint job, as I want to do a different scheme than the common camouflage look. Any suggestions?

Ideally_Inventive

Until you get the new plane built, I’d like to encourage you to keep flying the TT. Try moving the CG aft, 1/4 inch & increase the throws. If you have maxed out the Tx, move the linkage. On the control surface, move to an inner hole, on the servo move to an outer hole.
I would try to do that, but I only had 4 servos for that plane and so I used the 2 from the aileron wing for an expanded 57 inch glider wing. Is it still posible or would it be safer to use the 3 channel wing for practice?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
master series
Oh ok so that was my mistake, my apologies sir. as for the material used in the MS Spit it does call for a wooden spar, I used a handfull of paint sticks laminated together with wood glue to build the spar and it worked out really well. I have yet to fly it but from what i saw from others builds anything wood will work. you are on the right track.

To be honest the FT Spit would be the best to go with given it has under cambered wing tips giving anyone starting out an advantage to flying success. Just my 2 cents