Choice of motors for quad-copter build on anycopter frame?

Howken

Hi!

I'm about to order electronics to build my first quad-copter with the Anycopter frame and of course Rotorbones, but have a question about what motors to choose.

The awesome guide provided by Flitetest lists the Turnigy Park300 1380kv motor, but it's currently backordered at Hobbyking so I'm wondering if it can be replaced by the Turnigy LD2816A 1350kv motor without changing any thing else?
From what I can tell, they have different ways of mounting the prop and the second one can draw more Amps.

So my main concern is that these props won't work on the second motor, thoughts?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, if you're ordering from HK, most any Hextronik or Turnigy motor between 750kv and 1600kv will do fine.

If you want something sporty, chose a higher kv in that span along with a smaller (~8-9") prop. If you're looking to carry a Gopro, video transmitter, maybe some lights with an rx switch or two, chose lower kv in that span with a larger prop (~10").

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Yes, if you're ordering from HK, most any Hextronik or Turnigy motor between 750kv and 1600kv will do fine.

If you want something sporty, chose a higher kv in that span along with a smaller (~8-9") prop. If you're looking to carry a Gopro, video transmitter, maybe some lights with an rx switch or two, chose lower kv in that span with a larger prop (~10").

Here comes the differing opinion again...

I do not like the lower KV on my camera platform. I find that it is too sluggish in altitude corrections. Especially when I'm pushing the weight limit with the added camera.

Of course a more powerful motor might make a difference, mine could just be too weak.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I agree the larger motors and props are more sluggish. However, that's one of the reasons I like the DT750s and 1147 props, they can lift a lot. My quad is loaded down with stuff, I'm sure it's now 1600+ grams and it flies with plenty to spare. Of course I only get around 10 or so minutes with a 3S 2200.

I also have 750s and 1147s on my tri and it can lift like a crane too.

Daveed

I'm using the rimfire 300 which is pretty much is the turnigy park300 and it works great on my tricopter. im using 8x3.8 props and every stays pretty cool to the touch after flying. what would happen if i use 9x4.7 props? more lift? i have some laying and was wondering what would happen.

aiidanwings

I'm using the rimfire 300 which is pretty much is the turnigy park300 and it works great on my tricopter. im using 8x3.8 props and every stays pretty cool to the touch after flying. what would happen if i use 9x4.7 props? more lift? i have some laying and was wondering what would happen.

Maybe. More than likely, the added resistance from the larger prop will lower the prop speed resulting in the same lift as with the smaller prop. But, it's worth a try! Ya never know!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
As is being discussed in the 'Single Motor Quad' (human powered), when you require as much lift as possible for the energy input, you want a slow to develop, relatively large, low differential pressure bubble or torus. . . thus slow turning, large props.

When you want acceleration and quick response, a small radius, high differential, but smaller and lower pressure torus that can be created and expanded quickly. The penalty is lift capacity. The reward is speed and response.

Last edited:

Howken

Many thanks for your input.

As I'm not looking for a setup that will be sporty I'll go with the lower kv alternative to begin with.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Another nice thing about a large, slow turning props with a light load, is they are very quiet.

I'll try and get some video of this one sometime soon. It has 1147 CF props, and it's more or less silent in a hover 50 feet away or above.

DSC00030.jpg

Furiou5

Noob question here: Lower KV matched with a larger prop will give more lifting power, and be less agile. Higher KV matched with a smaller prop will be more agile, but able to carry less?