Choose Your Prop Adventure

sandblaster

Good show. Really like the interactive. Very educational and helpful. Lucked out and got it right the first time, then watched the others to see the results.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
HA, that was fun! I chose the largest prop to see what would happen...then went back and watched the other two!

Dallin

Very nice. I appreciated that you actually went thru all 3 props and showed a video of them flying. It gives you an actual visual representation of the importance of choosing the correct prop. Overall this was a great episode. Well worth the extra day wait. Good job Crew!!

-Dallin

earthsciteach

I win!!!! Well, at least I picked the right prop. However, did you ever mention the size of the esc used? Doesn't that have to come into play in making the decision? All of my 1300kv motors are matched up with 20 A escs. Of course, knowing the amp draw, the plane would be happy with a 10amp esc. However, I have made it a policy to never buy another 10 amp esc. Every 10 amp I have owned (matched up with the recommended motor and prop) has died within a couple of flights.

Anyone else experience this???

teflyer

Full Circle
Mine heated up like crazy whenever I connected it to a 3s 1300mAh and that 1300 kv Blue Wonder motor. However, I suspect that it was because I got a defective motor which had really bad bearing so the turn of the motor was rough.

earthsciteach

Its not unusual to have a "rough" turning motor, and it may not be caused by a bearing. A "stiff" motor is more likely to be caused by the magnets on the bell housing rubbing on the stator. Pull the bell housing off. Mark the stator arms with a marker. Replace the bell housing. Spin the motor a bunch of revolutions (manually will do). Pull the bell housing off, again. Examine the stator arms to see if any of the marker was worn off. If it was, sand down those stator arms until the motor turns more freely.

What was the amperage of your esc, Tex?

teflyer

Full Circle
My ESC is 8-10amp SS ESC

I think you are right. Unfortunately, it is a little too late to test that. I accidentally thin CA'ed the motor trying for another flight. :eek: So now I have a really hard time running it! ;)

fred0000

interesting epesode, the pick your path was fun though I kinda hope you don't do this for EVERY epesode from here on out.

(yes, I selected the right prop first try)

teflyer

Full Circle
Believe me, I tried and I got most of it loose, but I just gave up at the end. I was trying to thin CA the motor directly to the motor mount since it broke off. That was about eight month ago. I got a new motor since then and consider that motor the motor that I screwed up on. But my 10 amps ESC still works fine despite me overheating it, accidentally shorting it and crashing with it.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Excellent episode guys! Nice to really learn what happens when you do something wrong besides crashing and not being able to figure it out. This helped me a lot and now I know what to look for and what decisions to make when choosing prop sizes. I actually feel a little smarter :D

Last edited:

teflyer

Full Circle
Yeah, great episode! Nice to explain how to choose a prop for a motor and how to know you have the right prop!

John Campbell

I win!!!! Well, at least I picked the right prop. However, did you ever mention the size of the esc used? Doesn't that have to come into play in making the decision? All of my 1300kv motors are matched up with 20 A escs. Of course, knowing the amp draw, the plane would be happy with a 10amp esc. However, I have made it a policy to never buy another 10 amp esc. Every 10 amp I have owned (matched up with the recommended motor and prop) has died within a couple of flights.

Anyone else experience this???

I like to match the prop to the plane, and then figure which prop to use. Once I have calculated the correct current, I then choosed and ESC and appropiate battery... As for 10 amp, I have had 2 of them around that size, both working fine with no hicups. Never had a problem out of them. One is an E-Flight, the other is a Castle.

John Campbell

Great Episode.. really enjoyed it... I chose the right prop first time... A lot of people chose the right prop... How many are willing admit which prop you chose was wrong, and why you chose it?