Help! Choosing DIY components.

Beech/run24

When making a custom DIY model, how are the correct motors, flight controls, and batteries chosen? What factors determine their specifications? (Quadcopter specific.)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Beech/run24
That's a pretty wide, open-ended question. You have to decide what it is you want to accomplish with your flying to determine what components to use. It's all a bunch of trade-offs and there is no "perfect" solution. Personal preferences for Speed, Endurance, Handling, Cost, size, durability, flight environment, etc... the list goes on.

What is it you want it to do?

Cheers!
LitterBug

Beech/run24

There's a list of concept designs I want to experiment with. One of them, maybe the smallest, is a small quadcopter with a computer mouse as a body. I figured Gremlin components could work with it.
What power ranges does an average F.C. require?

Beech/run24

Are the batteries' ampere hours, voltage, and cell count dependent upon the motors and ESCs comprising the quadcopter?
Or does just one of those components determine the battery?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Are the batteries' ampere hours, voltage, and cell count dependent upon the motors and ESCs comprising the quadcopter?
Or does just one of those components determine the battery?

Voltage and cell count essentially amount to the same thing - 3.7v/cell nominal, 4.2V fully charged. All of your components have to be rated to operate at your chosen batteries voltage or they will overheat and eventually fail. Capacity is determined by the amount of thrust available and desired flight time. Again, it all depends on what you want to do.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Motors also come with a “kv” rating which means how many max revolutions per volt. If you know what kind of battery you want (like a 3S or 4S), you choose the appropriate motor kv. You’ll also need to consider the proper props and escs.

3S is a good place to start with a micro sized quad. I think you’re on the right direction thinking the Gremlin kit (fc, motors, esc) would be a good starting point.