Christen Eagle Swappable-Design, Build, and Review Log

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
DETAILS
Hey everyone! As my title says, I am a lover of things with 2 wings, and I love my Baby Blender, but I find it just a bit squirley and tricky to fly well. That coupled with the fact that I love aerobatics, and we have my first (successful) design. I give you the Christen Eagle II. This version is semi scale and derived from the original Baby Blender, however, as you can see in the pictures, there is nothing left of the original Baby Blender. I hope you all like it and take a shot at building one yourselves.
Christen.eagle.2.g-ccyo.arp.jpg
SPECS:
Wingspan-32"

Channels-4

Weight:
Beef Package-TBD

NTM 28-30-TBD

NTM-28-26-TBD

Prop-8x6-9x6 APC

ESC-Turnigy Plush 30A

Battery-1300-2200 3S

Servos-4 TG9e or HXT-900

Build difficulty:Strong Intermediate
This build incorporates some advanced techniques, but is not a hard build overall.

Materials:
3.5 sheets DTFB
3 BBQ Skewers
1 sheet poster board
1 power pod
2 sheets printer paper
markers/packing tape for color

Plans:
Tiled-Coming Soon!
Full-Coming Soon!

Build Log:
IMG_0537[1].JPG IMG_0538[1].JPG IMG_0539[1].JPG IMG_0540[1].JPG IMG_0541[1].JPG

Ask away guys! I'd love to get some people interested in this project, so any questions you have I should be able to answer.

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Don't know yet. Hopefully we find out this weekend. I have a big trap shooting tournament on Saturday, so I'll only be able to fly on Sunday, but I should have video for you soon.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Found images of just the graphics. I'll be able to make accurate decals from these files, so anyone can do the Chisten Eagle scheme without having to draw on their plane for 3 hours like I did.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
A test flight is possible tomorrow. If the weather is good I may have some time after school.

Design wise; I know it doesn't look extremely scale at the moment, but the final will be more so. The cowling is the wrong shape because I took the fuselage from a Baby Blender and modded it. The front turtle deck also has to be a bit higher, so those changes will be made to the V1 plans.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'm going to try to test fly tonight, then mod the plans to the scale outlines found in these plans. The only problem I can think of is the motor placement. The turtle deck makes it tricky to place the motor in the scale spot, so the cowl may be a bit more sloped than in the picture, but it will be more scale.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Yeah i was thinking about that when you posted your build. Maybe think about making the fuse taller to fill that top wing to turtle deck section then you can use a lower profile decking and pull off the wide fuse radius look with your turtle decking. Most likely to get the scale look youll end up using side wall former and poster board to get that wide look and to blend in with a nice cowl

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
That's what I was thinking. You'd get a flatter turtle deck, but the Eagle has a pretty flat turtle deck to begin with.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Hay Jayz, I can probably swing the Prometheus/Challenger look with this thing by changing the wing/tail shape. They are both really similar with the exception of the wingtip and tail geometry.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Your prototype is looking pretty good. Just make the fuse taller and mount your motor as high as you can on the fire wall to get the prop height. Then give her a nice cowl. You should be looking pretty close then

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Yeah, it won't take much to get it to look right. Just some fiddling with the turtle deck height.

Out of curiosity are you building your Sea Fury from ALP's plans?