Christen Eagle Swappable-Design, Build, and Review Log

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
+1 vote on the 35/40" range please.

The only reason I have doubts about a biplane that big is that I have serious doubts that it would fly even remotely well on a C pack motor. So I will likely shoot for a 30" design first then make a larger one once I know that the design is airworthy.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Okay, update number 3 for today. Fuselage parts are all drawn up and ready to be scaled, Almost all of the cowling parts are done apart from a poster board addition that I will draw up with some of the other smaller parts like the canopy. Wings are up next on the drawing board. Once they get roughed out I will be adding all of the tabs and stuff to make it a friendly build. As long as I am able to work on this thing at the rate that I have been the first set of plans might be ready for some brave beta builders who want to give this sucker a crack. Oh yeah, I will also be doing simple cub style landing gear for ease of build and durability's sake.

baronbernie

CAD Program

Keegan

Just like you, I enjoy designing and dreaming of other planes to draw on the computer. I use the Turbo CAD Deluxe 16 program to design my planes but yours looks more complete in that there are more items to use in your drawing.

What program are you using, and where did you buy it from?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
What program are you using, and where did you buy it from?

I'm using AutoCAD. It's made by Autodesk for professional modeling. In all honesty I can't do the program justice. It's capable of WAY more than I am. It should be free as long as you setup an account on the Autodesk website as a student, and you still get the entire program. The student account is actually a pretty awesome deal. You get access to AutoCAD, Inventor (3D solid modeling), Fusion (another 3D Modelling software), Maya (animation suite), and a bunch of others.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Ok, I'm confused. Is the plane in your first post completely different from the one you're designing now?

For the most part yes. The plane in the first post was a really rough prototype that I threw together to see if the design was viable. It flew fine, but wasn't very representative of the actual aircraft. The goal for the official design is the capture the lines of the full scale Christen Eagle and maintain the good flight characteristics of the prototype.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Not much to report. I've been trying to figure out how to organize the fuselage and add the additional parts it's going to need, so I'm pretty much done with the fuse. I'll be starting on the wings soon as long as I get some time. Last weekend I was playing my horn for a football game for about 12 hours, so my Saturday was pretty much shot, and Sundays are a little unreliable for getting work done.

jpot1

Elite member
No worries understood that life gets in the way sometime. Just looking to replace my 2yr old super sized baby blender. I'll be glad to give yours a try when you are ready.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Oh boy. It seems I've been neglecting projects again. I have just about everything ready for a test build, I just have not been able to find the time to actually build. I had a fairly busy freshman year at UND and didn't get to work on side projects much, now I am working 2 (possibly 3) jobs and I can't do much prototyping. Things should slow down a little bit after Flite Fest OH and I might get to actually build one of these things.

jpot1

Elite member
Yes all done and flew well but still had an odd tip stall if I slowed down too much in a turn. Added a little more undercamber area but have not gotten to fly it again. If interested I can post plans probably by tomorrow?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
So, Ironically I will have a lot more time to work on this during the school year (which starts for me in a bout a week) as I will not be working two jobs trying to pay for school. In the winter things really slow down for me, but I'm hoping to get a final version flying before then. I have access to a CNC machine at my house in ND which will drastically reduce build time. I have quite a few other half done designs that I want to have out this year yet. This one IS the priority, so if you guys are all still waiting on this, I will be working on it.