Christen Eagle Swappable-Design, Build, and Review Log

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Plenty more progress made tonight. Both stabilizers are done, along with almost all the fuselage formers. I just have to revise the first two so the cowling comes out right. The canopy is also done for the most part. Not much is really left other than the wings and the struts.

Michael9865

Elite member
Looks good. Looks like I might need to add another biplane to the winter build list. I will be watching for your plans.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Not a whole lot of work has been done since flite fest. Oshkosh was right after that, so i had no time that week, then I got really busy with work. I'm going to come back to these plans after I finalize the ripoff crack yak that I'm scratch building.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hadn't seen this build till now. Need a replacement for my baby blender, the bottom wing is wearing out and this would make for a much more capable performer.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The design should come together a lot more this week. There is quite a bit of rain in the forecast, and I have band rehearsals from 9-5 through the week. I doubt I'll get any flying in, but designing will be very doable. I really only have the wings and the struts left to do. I'm going to attempt to do a symmetrical airfoil for better inverted characteristics.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Back to work on this project again. Finally getting to the point in school where I'll have a little bit of free time during the week, so the Eagle is back on the chopping block.

Rhys_GreyCat

Any updates on this? Did the plans get posted anywhere?

Working on my Winter build list. Grew up around EAA and always loved watching these at Airventure.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
It's stagnant at the moment. I've just started my freshmen year at UND for commercial aviation, so I don't have a whole lot of time to be working on plans, but once the weather starts acting up and school slows down a bit I'd love to get back on a bunch of my designs. II'll prioritize this one as it seems more people want this than anything else.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Well, I setup my Autodest student account today and reinstalled auto cad, so I should be able to get some work done on this thing (dependent on my workload) tomorrow. I've got to try to figure out how to import a 3-view as well.

Michael9865

Elite member
Well, I setup my Autodest student account today and reinstalled auto cad, so I should be able to get some work done on this thing (dependent on my workload) tomorrow. I've got to try to figure out how to import a 3-view as well.

I definitely understand that school work comes first, I was always balancing the good and bad distractions against my school workload. Enjoy your educational journey.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Good news is that I have two classes today, and one of them is an aviation safety lecture. So, I've got a free night after my flight in a few hours. Might be able to make some headway. I might also try my hand at Photoshop (or Illustrator, I have to look at the two programs) to make some skins. The traditional rainbow feather scheme, black and rainbow, and maybe a Pitts S-2B scheme considering how similar the air frames are. Christen.eagle.2.g-ccyo.arp.jpg 1992-pitts-s2-b-1-485x300.jpg

baronbernie

Love the plane

I have always wanted to build and fly this great looking plane. At the hobby center where I get my supplies, was a balsa wood kit that used a 60 sized nitro fuel engine. I wanted it really bad but did not want to deal with another nitro fuel engine driven plane. One of the sales people suggested that I use an electrical se-up instead. What a great idea I thought and was excited about building an electric powered plane. Along with the kit many other electrical parts were needed about which I knew nothing about and ended up scraping the idea.

Now that there is this possibility of building the Eagle again and having a better understanding of what parts are required, the flame has been resurrected.

When plans become available, will they be drawn up the same way that Flite Test plans are created, and in PDF format (complete plans as well as individual sheets)?

Looking forward to your plans with great expectations. :D

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Getting quite a bit done on this project today. Might be able to get this thing almost done between tonight and tomorrow.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Well, here is a screen shot of my progress. It may not look like it, but the fuselage parts are almost done and I will be starting on the wings soon. CE design screengrab.PNG

DarkFire

Keep it up on the great work!! I'm stuck in the house *cough* *cough* Hurricane Harvey *cough* and school is cancelled for the rest of the week ;). Piled on with the fact that my brother moved out for college and I took over his room, it looks like I'll be building like crazy!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Okay. Made a major design decision and got the cowl worked out today. It won't be super curvy like the actual Eagle has (limitations of the medium) but it will look pretty close to the original and I think I might be able to use a bit of posterboard trickery to make the dimensions of the front end look pretty spot on. It's getting there. The plan is to finalize the fuselage rough (un-scaled) design tonight then start roughing out the wings. I purposely haven't scaled the plans yet so that I can get a feel for what size people want this thing in. My current plan is to do a 28" wing span so that it won't be overly large, but I could be persuaded to push it closer to the 35-40 inch mark.