Christmas 2017, Gifts of Flight, and New Pilots

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I was thinking this morning, with all the pictures of people sharing what gifts they received for Christmas, is that we probably have a few new RC pilots joining the hobby.

So the idea occurred to me, that maybe it would be fun and useful to collect some tips and advice that maybe you wished you knew, when you were first starting out.

This was also asked on the Flite Test Fans Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FlitetestFans/permalink/2043529159198954/

abiex: Make it a habit to charge your batteries outside in a safe place.

FlyingMonkey: Your transmitter and your battery charger are the two most important items you will own. The planes, helicopters, and drones are disposable. You'll end up with several airframes, and can choose which to use, but you'll use the radio and charger every flight. So, invest in a good radio and a good charger as soon as you can.

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Flying is one part and spending hours on the build table repairing stuff is the other, those two always go together no matter what.

(I usually tell that to peoples that tell me they are not good enough or have no room for DIY stuff, if you can't repair your plane then you won't enjoy it that much)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
People are always more important that things. Enjoy both. Cherish relationships and use the hobby to build and enhance them.
Expect crashes. Start good habits (checking flight controls before flight especially after working on it).
Be considerate of others when you fly, avoiding being "that guy" who's only thought is his own fun.

Welcome to the hobby and our FT family.

Tminak

Dont expect your batteries to last long in single digit weather. If possible join an indoor fly in with your local friendly flight club under it warms up!