Christmas is Coming! Challenge

Blackbeltrrf

I just had a thought but it may have been done already. With Christmas coming I wonder if we can get Santa Claus and his Reindeer in the air? Thoughts? :)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I just had a thought but it may have been done already. With Christmas coming I wonder if we can get Santa Claus and his Reindeer in the air? Thoughts? :)

Hah. I think that would be hilarious. Don't think it would be super difficult either. Maybe make it like a long nutball or simple elevon design. If you used the reindeer for horizontal stabilization you could probably get away with some flat sections hidden between them plus a flat bottom sled.

If people can get a single sheet of foamboard to fly this shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited:

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
HAHA! I will shoot the idea around the shop guys! I am sure we will do a big christmas episode, but I will see what everyone thinks about the good old SAINT NICK and reindeer Option!! ;)

Happy flying guys and HAPPY THANKSGIVING/MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Blessings,
Stefan

dengar256

I was just thinking about that this morning on the drive to work. Tying to figure out a way to have a flying ST Nick and freak out the neighbors.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This brings a lot of Ideas to mind... I'm thinking the Sliegh silhouette are two fins aboard a thick wing. with cargo skids... holding parachuted candies.... or would that be the 'deer, and the sleigh would be more like a Fowler Flyer? Would the Reindeer have a Honey Badger like connector used to steer? I'm sure this will be rolling around in my head now.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This brings a lot of Ideas to mind... I'm thinking the Sliegh silhouette are two fins aboard a thick wing. with cargo skids... holding parachuted candies.... or would that be the 'deer, and the sleigh would be more like a Fowler Flyer? Would the Reindeer have a Honey Badger like connector used to steer? I'm sure this will be rolling around in my head now.

Thrust vectoring by moving the reindeer would look awesome, especially if they moved independently in pairs or something.

I got sucked in and decided to try something simple to start with. Just traced a Santa silhouette and drew up a center section. If it ends up flying I can make it a bit more complex.

SantaBetaPlans.png

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This is fantastic guys!! I can't believe how fast that there is already a prototype. Lol.

It's just a simple one. Figure it's safest to start there. I'd really like to see a more complex version from the FT guys. Or maybe just a really big one. Got any foam sheets left over from the star destroyer? That would surprise the neighbors lol.

Gonna try and fly it tomorrow. It's got an A pack motor and a couple 9 gram servos from a donor plane. Gonna try a 500mah 2 cell, and if needed I'll bump it up to a 3.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm amazed at the quick ready-to-test prototype. You guys with the your CNC machines.;) I'm looking forward to the maiden video!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
With multirotors, anything can fly.... I may have to update this idea for the season:

Just sayin'
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
LOL! LOL! LOL! ROFL! Awesome work @LocalFiend! Gonna have to get to work on my quad version.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT Going to make this a new build. 5" Luminier Danus frame instead of the Owl 3" frame.

OwlVsDanaus.jpg

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Awesome!! That's hilarious. Now all you need to do it make it light up and fly it around Christmas evening. :)

I've got a lot of ideas I'm thinking of trying out. Bought some 1/16" polycarbonate which I think weighs a bit over a gram per square inch for 9 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051X1GVI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should work good for the center section between the reindeer to make it look better from directly overhead. I think I'll also need to do some christmas lighting lol.

I was talking with Rasterize and it didn't really take any any convincing at all to see if he would make up some graphics. :cool: So, the santa/reindeer profile will be made much simpler, cause those antlers would be a chore to cut out by hand. Should look 10 times better than my plain foamboard version and be easier to build.

If anyone is interested I can tile up the plans as they stand now. Cutting it out by hand should be possible it'l just take a #11 blade.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Tried to crash it so I could use the electronics in the second rendition. Almost succeeded. It handles surprisingly well for what it is. Roll rate is nuts. Starts slow then gets faster and faster lol.

Blackbeltrrf

I've got a lot of ideas I'm thinking of trying out. Bought some 1/16" polycarbonate which I think weighs a bit over a gram per square inch for 9 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051X1GVI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should work good for the center section between the reindeer to make it look better from directly overhead. I think I'll also need to do some christmas lighting lol.

I was talking with Rasterize and it didn't really take any any convincing at all to see if he would make up some graphics. :cool: So, the santa/reindeer profile will be made much simpler, cause those antlers would be a chore to cut out by hand. Should look 10 times better than my plain foamboard version and be easier to build.

If anyone is interested I can tile up the plans as they stand now. Cutting it out by hand should be possible it'l just take a #11 blade.

I definitely would like the plans! That video was awesome! I am still totally amazed at how fast just an idea and then a flying prototype is in the air.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I definitely would like the plans! That video was awesome! I am still totally amazed at how fast just an idea and then a flying prototype is in the air.

CNC lets me cheat, and this design was about as simple as it's possible to make.

Here's the plans:

Mighty Mini Santa's Sleigh Beta v.1 AIO

I added a center spar to strengthen things a bit. A Mighty Mini Power pod should slide right into the end of it and you can hide your wires and receiver inside.

Flew great on the A pack, but I think an F pack would be just fine, the extra weight up front would make it easier to balance. Put the battery wherever it needs to go to balance, maybe even notch out the spar to fit the battery. I had to run mine sideways to make it work.

Stick the servos as close to the front as you can or the length of your push rods. I put mine in the back which made me need a big battery.

Not a completed design by any means, but if anyone wants to mess with it, go ahead, it should be perfectly flyable as is.