Chuck Gliders

VITAL277

I have built the F22 Raptor and the Long EZ, but in looking down the page on the LongEZ on FT, I came across this photo, does anyone know if the plans for these Chuck Gliders are anywhere? I want to have a build-off with my boys this weekend and looking for some plans!

Thanks!~

Attachments

• editor_images-1536838540096-DSC06286-Edit__81341.1503601562.600.600.jpg
    editor_images-1536838540096-DSC06286-Edit__81341.1503601562.600.600.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have built the F22 Raptor and the Long EZ, but in looking down the page on the LongEZ on FT, I came across this photo, does anyone know if the plans for these Chuck Gliders are anywhere? I want to have a build-off with my boys this weekend and looking for some plans!

Thanks!~

I know these 4 gliders are available through the STEM kit, but I do not believe they have ever published the plans for them. It's kind of odd; the F22 and the Viggen are the easiest planes in that kit to build! I like them better than the Cub, which gave me nothing but headaches trying to get the wing glued on.

VITAL277

I know these 4 gliders are available through the STEM kit, but I do not believe they have ever published the plans for them. It's kind of odd; the F22 and the Viggen are the easiest planes in that kit to build! I like them better than the Cub, which gave me nothing but headaches trying to get the wing glued on.

The STEM store link doesn’t work and I wanted to do them this weekend. Looks like I’m going on to open CAD and get to drawing!

Thank you!!

bperc

The STEM store link doesn’t work and I wanted to do them this weekend. Looks like I’m going on to open CAD and get to drawing!

Thank you!!

I would like to use them with my students. Would you be willing to share your CAD files?
Thanks

VITAL277

Of course! I had an impromptu trip that I had to leave for a bit, but I will be home again next week and will work on them and get them uploaded

bperc

Thanks!~

Here are some more plans by Nerdnic: https://www.nerdnic.com/

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@awoehler I am looking at your plane and I have a few quick questions about your instructions.Decided to adjust to a more FT style wing. Here is a sheet of two.
What I like is that it is durable, and VERY Adjustable. To teach how to find the CG. and I can fit two on a DTFB sheeet. Also the cuts are straight and simple.
Here's my version of the plan, print as 34"x22" and should lay on a 20x30 DTFB perfect.

now the bad
without the paper, it gets... flimsy.
The instructions on the fold over are a bit confusing... fold which way and what about bevel references... a diagram for it would help immensely otherwise very straight forward.

good job either way.

Attachments

• 20inCG.2fer.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 0

awoehler

@FoamyDM Thanks for your feedback. I like your design too. I'll have to give it a try. Looks like you mimicked the simple theme nicely. I'll have to build yours and see how it compares.

See if this helps. Fold the wing back on itself and glue really well. Next cut to remove the triangle on the leading edge marked by the blue line. I make a line on the top of the wing to cut too. Since this is a long cut I next sand it until I get a nice straight leading edge. Next I remove all of the paper top and bottom leaving only paper where they pieces are glued together. After the paper is removed I sand a smoother curve on the top of the wing to create the desired airfoil.

1548898423719.png

After everything has been sanded I run a piece of packaging tape along the leading edge to give it some durability.

For the fuselage I've coated it with a thin layer of craft glue.

You've done exactly what I wanted people to do with this design, use it as a starting point to make there own. My 3 year old son wanted a biplane so we've adapted one to that. I've added 2 RC channels to another. The tail on the RC one cracked the other day so I might end up leaving some paper there.

I've removed a lot of the paper it is a 25% weight reduction which also helps with reducing crash damage.

I'm working on making a build video but life has gotten in the way as usual.

FoamyDM

Thank you, that . I will have to build a wing that way.
Have you found a magic weight that works? i.e. - if it's under ## grams, it flies great!

I've built two now. One is paper off (as you have it.) and the other is straight paper on. Both don't feel like they have lift. I have tucked a wedge to change wing angles, moved the wing location, and adjusted
I have another idea, for this which is to leave the paper but score the control surfaces on top and bottom, now you can bend the foam and have it stay put. good for young pilots to adjust. the paper doesn't allow for it.

Please also add to the chuck glider list - The RR Finch. It flies VERY well, and is durable and small.

awoehler

@FoamyDM I haven't found a magic weight that works. I usually balance it somewhere around having the trailing edge at about the 10 inch from the nose which seams really far back but it works. I've started a new Feather Plane 2 thread instead of hijacking this one.

FoamyDM

Thank you on the CG, wing est. I'll post my Builds tonight, once I take pictures I will post here and in your new thread for reference..