Class of 2020 (Or Young FT Fans)

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hey all,
Happy graduation season! I've always been curious how many FT fans around my age there are. If you're a member of the graduating class of 2020, primarily high school but maybe college, post here with your plans for next year.
I myself will be attending Cal Poly San Luis Obispo this fall to major in Aerospace Engineering!
Nice! I'm close, 2021. :cry:

kuhlrunner

Well, seems like that fell pretty flat. Not going to say I was expecting it, but...
How about let's open it up a little. @"Corpse" you said you're a junior, and I imagine @The Hangar is around there, so there's probably more data in a wider data set. Post here if you're in your early twenties/teens/younger, and what your job/plan for the future is.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Well, seems like that fell pretty flat. Not going to say I was expecting it, but...
How about let's open it up a little. @"Corpse" you said you're a junior, and I imagine @The Hangar is around there, so there's probably more data in a wider data set. Post here if you're in your early twenties/teens/younger, and what your job/plan for the future is.
I'm planning to join the USCG in a year as a gunner's mate. (The guy who un-jams/cleans giant artillery) I've always been interested in doing Military work and it's cool that I'm so close. (Can't wait!) The only downside is I'll have to curb airplane building for a long time. I still am gonna rip quads around though!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I graduated in 1982 from high school so not such a significant year as 2020 other then the music was WAYYYY better then the electronically made and mastered crap of today. We actually still played instruments back then!!. After getting hurt I was sent to college to be "retrained" and graduated that in 2000. (at least that was a more significant year historically)

As far as college goes research the profession you want to learn. Things like how saturated is it? how is it progressing, will you be able to survive AND find a job in said profession after you graduate. Paying off loans working at Walmart or Mcdonalds wont cut it. There will be a whole lot of debt incurred to go thru college no matter what you choose so be sure the end result at least can compensate for the debt AND put food in your mouth. Student loans are no joke and can add up to HUGE numbers fast.

Having a plan is always good. Nothing wrong with stepping into a service period with one of the branches of our military. Just be dead set on what your end goal is and be prepared for head games to weed people out of the jobs they want and into the general grunt jobs no one wants to do. You will, after all your schooling is done have more free time like a regular job it just depends where you are deployed to. Even on ships there are many hobbies you can pursue. I was lucky and had a space to crank up my guitar when I wanted on the Nimitz. A few of us used to regularly run our RC monster trucks around when radio conditions allowed. There were even times in port where some of the crew flew RC planes off the flight deck. I was not into flight back then or I would more then likely been one of them. Worse comes to worse a deployment at sea is just more build / repair time for when you are in port hehe.

PS. that whole join the military for college thing isnt as bright n shiny as they promote it. Only if you can save most of what you earn will that pan out. Other wise what you can squirrel away with that GI bill thing is only a drop in the bucket with the limitations they put on contributions. DO max that out in any case as the matching funds helps over all dont lose free money hehe.

Best of luck to all you youngun's trying to find your place in the world and congratz to class of 2020!!!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m a sophomore. My plans are to take engineering - not sure which type yet though. Aeronautical is tempting though. :)

kuhlrunner

I graduated in 1982 from high school so not such a significant year as 2020 other then the music was WAYYYY better then the electronically made and mastered crap of today. We actually still played instruments back then!!. After getting hurt I was sent to college to be "retrained" and graduated that in 2000. (at least that was a more significant year historically)

As far as college goes research the profession you want to learn. Things like how saturated is it? how is it progressing, will you be able to survive AND find a job in said profession after you graduate. Paying off loans working at Walmart or Mcdonalds wont cut it. There will be a whole lot of debt incurred to go thru college no matter what you choose so be sure the end result at least can compensate for the debt AND put food in your mouth. Student loans are no joke and can add up to HUGE numbers fast.

Having a plan is always good. Nothing wrong with stepping into a service period with one of the branches of our military. Just be dead set on what your end goal is and be prepared for head games to weed people out of the jobs they want and into the general grunt jobs no one wants to do. You will, after all your schooling is done have more free time like a regular job it just depends where you are deployed to. Even on ships there are many hobbies you can pursue. I was lucky and had a space to crank up my guitar when I wanted on the Nimitz. A few of us used to regularly run our RC monster trucks around when radio conditions allowed. There were even times in port where some of the crew flew RC planes off the flight deck. I was not into flight back then or I would more then likely been one of them. Worse comes to worse a deployment at sea is just more build / repair time for when you are in port hehe.

PS. that whole join the military for college thing isnt as bright n shiny as they promote it. Only if you can save most of what you earn will that pan out. Other wise what you can squirrel away with that GI bill thing is only a drop in the bucket with the limitations they put on contributions. DO max that out in any case as the matching funds helps over all dont lose free money hehe.

Best of luck to all you youngun's trying to find your place in the world and congratz to class of 2020!!!
Thanks for the words of wisdom! Not planning to go into the military at the moment, but it's always an option.

I’m a sophomore. My plans are to take engineering - not sure which type yet though. Aeronautical is tempting though. :)
Aero all the way!

Lets go class of 2020 haha
Let's go!!