Classic Jets Fighter Museum - sit in lovingly restored warbirds!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Before finishing up my holiday in Adelaide, we popped in to the Classic Jets Fighter Museum. I used to live near Parafield Airport, but never even noticed the sign before. Being a little enamoured with pretty much anything military jet, I thought I'd take my similarly obsessed boys (7, 5 and 3 year olds) and wife (what a trooper!).

Upon entry ($9 for adults, $4.5 for kids over 5 and free for the little tackers), we had a very friendly volunteer (Mohan) take us across to the hanger next door, away from the magnificent F-86 and P-38 that were in front of me begging to be pored over. However, it was more than worth it, as we were given brief smiles by volunteers lovingly working on various components of a F4U that was salvaged from a lagoon in Vanuatu. They were cleaning up individual bits and pieces by hand, re-assembling what they could or making a new piece with old fitting and turning equipment. There's still a long way to go on the old Corsair, but already there's enough to impress the size and grandeur of the plane.

In the restoration shed, there's also a Mirage III that was saved from being scrapped after a gear up landing in Melbourne. Not only can you get under it and look at the gear and missiles, but you can get up into the cockpit! Wow! I've never heard of anywhere you can do that!!! In the restoration shed, there was also a flying condition P-51, one of only two Boomerangs left in the world (we saw the other one fly at Temora last year) and a couple of Chipmunks. You can't get up close to these, but they're impressive all the same.

Back to the first Hanger, and you can hop into the cockpit of the F-86 and the Sea Venom (in essence a sea-going version of the Venom and very similar to the Vampire). The P-38 stole the show though. You can't hop into it, but it looks fantastic, especially when you see what it looked like before its 8 year restoration by volunteers from a long sit in PNG (where the elements are pretty temperamental).

The collection also includes a P-39 Aircobra, a Tiger Moth and a Jindivik drone.

Although a relatively small collection, I haven't heard of anywhere else where you can hop into the cockpit and play with the instruments, rudder pedals, throttle and stick. Fantastic.

Here's their link: http://www.classicjets.com/index.html

And here's a photo of my middle boy with a big grin inside the Sabre:
Dan in Sabre.jpg

Fishbonez

Very Cool. Very Cool indeed. Your son with his hands down in front of him has the look of "I did not touch that, it wasnt me" LOL He is having a blast. Great picture sound like a really cool place to take the family. Thanks for sharing

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
My wife took lots more pics, so once I pinch them off her I'll post a few more up here.

Speaking of the P-39, this plane turns things on their head... In this case, the actual plane demonstrates something to us modellers... The importance of balancing a plane correctly. The P-39 had the engine behind the canopy which put it on the edge of being balance toward the rear. This could induce a flat spin when the plane was not correctly loaded (bomb location, fuel distribution, pilot weight to name a few contributing factors).