Cleanflight - What's your favorite PID controller?

Which of the new PID controllers do you prefer?

• PID 0 MultiWii (old)

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • PID 1 MultiWii (rewrite)

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • PID 2 LuxFloat

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • PID 3 MultiWii (2.3 - latest)

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • PID 4 MultiWii (2.3 - hybrid)

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • PID 5 Harakiri

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

sphinix

intermediate quad pilot
yeah i noticed that pid2 gave me insane yaw. i have yaw set to 0.7 on pid 0, and its smooth and spot on
but oooooh man pid 2.... spins like a frigging ufo

sphinix

intermediate quad pilot
Sounds like an orientation issue. Put a heli body on it. ;)

I'm flying an angle arm electrohub, naze32 on pid controller 3 in acro mode only. So far the only non-default settings is to up the yaw rate considerably. Now I can spin like a maniac.

ha. i love it. we do want to find someone with a 3d printer though and make themed shells like starwars and firefly for the quads though. might fit best on the y6 though.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
ha. i love it. we do want to find someone with a 3d printer though and make themed shells like starwars and firefly for the quads though. might fit best on the y6 though.

This is getting a bit off topic, but a 3D printer would be good for the shape, although you don't need one. Just a vacuum former to make the lexan shells. You could make the actual shape out of anything.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Vacuum-Forming/

The bottom right video is the cheapest and easiest to make.

Last edited:

Inteous

Guys, I am very new to this mini quad stuff. I read through the forum but I was really confused. Can one of you walk me through the pid stuff? I dont have fpv hooked up to my quad yet so I have to fly with auto level cause it's very difficult without it. How do I go about getting the smoothest flight? Whats the normal pid settings? Also for autolevel how can I get it so that when I let go of the sticks it doesnt over correct itself a lot because when I let go of the sticks the quad overshoots staying level then goes back to the level position. Thanks!

Ludodg

Dear Inteous....
The bad news is: PID is about the biggest challenge when building a new quad.
The best advice for a noob is: stick with the basic settings that your flightcontroller probides you.

Then learn how to fly, best WITHOUT AUTOLEVEL. Go slowly and take babysteps.
Oneother advice: buy one of those microquads that you can fly indoors without breaking when crashing ... Bucause crashing you WILL do.

Meanwhile, look around the fora about info about PID (oscar liang blog, ...) and learn about it there.

Maybe then, you can try tinkering with it. The learning curve is very steep, IMHO, when diving into PID ...
But in the end you will master the quad ;)

Just my two cents.

One last tip: you can always look out for someone, more experienced then you, that has the same quad, with the same motors, .... And copy their PID-settings, ... And even then you might notice that often PID is also kind of personal preference