Climb to target altitude during mission?

Raptortech

Foam Addict
Here's a quick mission planning question.

So I have a fixed wing aircraft and I'd like to plan a mission in which the aircraft climbs to a target altitude and then performs a servo action. From testing, I found that if I set one waypoint at 30m and then the next at 100m, and the aircraft does not have time to ascend in between waypoints, it will simply fly through the 100m waypoint at whatever altitude it happens to be when it reaches there (in this case about 50m).

So my question is, is there a way to force the aircraft to ascend to the target altitude? Basically I want the plane to spiral up to the target altitude before going to the waypoint.

Thanks in advance!

I can use Mission Planner or APM Planner. My autopilot is a ReadyToFlyer 2.8 with 900MHz telemetry and a ublox 6 GPS + magnetometer. No airspeed sensor as of yet, but I could be convinced to buy one.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
You may need to use something other than Mission Planner to program your flight if you need it to require hitting the altitude before proceeding. There is a bit to set that option for a waypoint command, but it's not enabled in MP. Otherwise, you might use a conditional event to ensure you hit that altitude before the next waypoint.

http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-planning-a-mission-with-waypoints-and-events/#waypoint

I'm not where I can load either MP nor APMPlanner, but I did notice there's a new version of Mission Planner:
https://github.com/diydrones/MissionPlanner/blob/master/ChangeLog.txt

Raptortech

Foam Addict
I've got the newest update. No applicable changes there.

For conditionals: basically it would be something like I'd do loiter turns at the target altitude (starting lower), and then advance to the next waypoint once I've reached the target altitude? (a screenshot would be awesome)

If that doesn't work, for editing the waypoint bitmask, can I just do that once when I flash the APM, or does it have to be every new mission?

Raptortech

Foam Addict
I found a new command in APM Planner which I hadn't seen last time I used it. "Change Alt & Continue." Hopefully that does what I have in mind...

Would this mission perform as described in the first post?
Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 12.32.57 AM.png

RichB

I think the flag to force altitudeis in the waypoint data structure, not a global option.

OmniFox

Here's a quick mission planning question.

So I have a fixed wing aircraft and I'd like to plan a mission in which the aircraft climbs to a target altitude and then performs a servo action. From testing, I found that if I set one waypoint at 30m and then the next at 100m, and the aircraft does not have time to ascend in between waypoints, it will simply fly through the 100m waypoint at whatever altitude it happens to be when it reaches there (in this case about 50m).

So my question is, is there a way to force the aircraft to ascend to the target altitude? Basically I want the plane to spiral up to the target altitude before going to the waypoint.

Thanks in advance!

I can use Mission Planner or APM Planner. My autopilot is a ReadyToFlyer 2.8 with 900MHz telemetry and a ublox 6 GPS + magnetometer. No airspeed sensor as of yet, but I could be convinced to buy one.

Doesn't altitude have a zone range similiar to the 2d waypoint radius? I don't remember if that is the case or not, but I'd look into that, as well as making sure your throttle and pitch PID s are dialed in for climb.

To trigger an action, you need to assign an rc output function and then use the DO_ACTION mavlink command.