Clockwise vs counter clockwise

Bigstu1311

I'm sure people have asked before but when building a kit, due to no stock I coundn't purchase the power pack for the might mini SE5. my local hobby shop supplied me with alternatives and close as a match as possible but why do I need CCW props and not the standard electric props..

I'm taking a punt that the answer is that the power pack has a slight right hand lean to the motor so this is needed to be countered with the CCW prop and CCW motor direction is this correct or doesn't it matter and CW direction and standard prop would be fine..

Don't want to maiden my plane and watch it explode if I've got the rotation incorrect.

Regards

Stewart

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
if you are "sitting" in your cockpit, the prop should be swinging to the right, this is CW. most tractor configured airplanes (SE5) require a certain degree of down and right thrust angle, if you have motor spinning the wrong way (CCW) it will not fly, at least not well.

hope this helps,

me :cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Normally the propeller direction, (CW or CCW), is determined whilst looking directly at the propeller from the front of the plane. The "Standard" direction of rotation is considered to be CCW. Propellers that are meant to operate in the CW direction are considered as pusher or R, (Reverse), propellers.

The angle both to the right and downwards on most small models is a result of the motor rotation and the airflow spiral from the spinning propeller which generates an airflow spiral over the aircraft. The angles are determined based on the assumed "Fact" that you will be using a CCW or standard propeller.

If you install a CW propeller on a plane designed to use a CCW propeller then you will soon discover that the plane is so difficult to launch that you may never get it to fly but rather will observe it roll and crash uncontrollably every flight attempt. If you are determined to use a CW propeller then the side thrust angle should be altered to be the same magnitude but to the left!

The introduction of Quadcopters and the like has made the CW propellers as common as the CCW props where in the past if you required a CW prop it was often only by placing a special order for a pusher prop. As per earlier in this post, a CCW propeller is considered as the standard for RC model aircraft. What is Standard for a 'Copter is irrelevant to a fixed wing model.

Just what it is!

Have fun!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
As @Hai-Lee said, convention is to call the prop rotation based on observation from the front of the plane looking towards the tail. The prop you linked to is a standard, CCW prop (in the description they also describe the rotation as standard tractor). This type prop is standard for planes.

DamoRC

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Appreciate the input

So whenever I purchase a ft kit it will allways require a CCW prop and not what I believe are standard props..

When I purchased my electrics the following are the props I was sold. Am I right in saying these are CW props and not what I need for a CCW spinning motor as the build video shows.

http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=105_106_51_154_796&products_id=3451

Regards

Stewart
I followed the link and there are 3 things that make me believe that it is a CCW propeller. First is the illustration that shows that the propeller would need to be rotated CCW when looking from on top in order for it to rise from the table.
Second is the term "TRACTOR" which means that it is a propeller used for a standard design single engined model aircraft.
Finally is the use of the term "NORMAL" which is not something used when discussing propellers of a CW design for model aircraft.

Hope this helps!

Have fun!