Close the field?

Should we close the flying field?

• Yes - it’s the smart thing to do.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No - I need to have an outdoors thing to do.

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
my club is still operating but with measures put in place to help prevent possible transition. i made the choice NOT to fly today due to my personal concerns about possibly spreading the virus to some of our older members and having too many people at the field. I myself am immunocompromised but fear more for others than myself.

i will probably try and go tomorrow when i know the number of members attending will be way under 10, then take every precaution possible including mask and gloves.

laters,

me :cool:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
One of the issues that I have is of liability at this point.

Our club is probably going to lose the field in a few years - the owner of the land is considering building a strip mall right where our field currently sits, especially since homes are popping up all around the field. Keeping that in mind, if we fly in the face of the current county and city restrictions that have been laid out for the beaches, parks, etc., how is that going to look with other future landowner agreements? In my mind, it doesn't make us look good - like we can't be trusted to follow the rules.

I'd rather try to keep a squeaky clean image right now so that when we are able to get back out to talk to people regarding the available land in the area, we are viewed favorably...

Captain Jay

Elite member
I've been watching the results daily here in BC and as it looks we are slowly reaching the peak. Due to staying away from each other and strict shopping measures. New cases were only 29 today as the last 3 days were around 53 each day.
I am worried for my family as my work has been deemed "essential to infrastructure". I do IT and fix copiers... is making a copy or a print that important?? I guess it is, what do I know?? I even tried to take holidays and was faced with " do you want to use all your holidays or take a layoff"? I said I would keep working. I wanted 30 days unpaid. I guess they didn't like that...
I guess I'm in the thick of it...
About the fields, I say close them before it's to late and someone in the club infects others and the elderly.
Stay safe...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Bit of an update:

Last night, we board members had a meeting on whether to keep the field operating with even more rigorous social distancing requirements - and then the County of San Diego threw in the deciding factor. People were not taking the "shelter in place" seriously, holding BBQs at the beach in their cars to skirt the orders, throwing large parties at their homes - missing the point of the "stay at home and keep away from others" orders, so the County told everyone that there is to be no gatherings at all, on public or private property, until further notice.

So with that in mind, there was still discussion of whether we could "bend the rules", and the president sent information of the order to the landowner.

They (and I think rightly so, to protect themselves) basically told us, "You need to close the field until further notice."

There are a few people in the club who were very upset and very vocal about how it was detrimental to their mental health, but you know what? At this point, it's not up to the club. Person who granted us permission to fly out there came back and said we shouldn't be flying until this whole thing blows over, and since they own the land, they have every right to tell us not to...

In the meantime, I'm looking for land to fly at once this whole thing is over with - our club is going to be losing our field in the next few years to urban development, so we're looking for a spot to set up a new flying field somewhere.

messyhead

I've been itching to get out and fly, today was a good day for it. But I'm not chancing it. I know how it feels to be in lock down. Last night I went for a bike ride just to get out, as I've been so wound up being stuck in the house.

But I don't think people should be risking it, just for the sake of flying for a hobby.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I'm fortunate to be in a small private AMA club. (we are actually looking for new members) Was out at the field the other day mowing for several hours and nobody was there.
Mowed.jpg

Went back after dinner to do some more mowing, and there were two peeps there. We were all safely distancing.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Captain Jay

Elite member
I'm fortunate to be in a small private AMA club. (we are actually looking for new members) Was out at the field the other day mowing for several hours and nobody was there.
View attachment 165386

Went back after dinner to do some more mowing, and there were two peeps there. We were all safely distancing.

Cheers!
LitterBug
Stop making me want to fly!!!! Hahaha
Beautiful field ya have there.
If your field is open, maybe you can sit in your car near by and wait until everyone leaves and get a few flights in. I would go at 7 am with a huge coffee and leave by 9 or 10 when I see the first face show up...
Shhhhhhh, don't tell the others or they will get the same idea...