Cold War Jets, EDF Series Please!

F2G2Corsair

Hi everyone. One of my favorite Flite Test designs was the FT Viggen, and I was wondering if the Flite Test Team could do a Cold War Jet EDF Series this winter. I would love to see the F-105 Thunderchief built much like the Viggen was. How about we put it to a vote? Each person vote for the Cold War Jet they'd most like to see Flite Test build. I vote for the F-105!!!

P.S. I figured since the Flite Test Team is probably busy with Flite Fest in the Summer, they could do the EDF Series in the winter since that's usually considered build season.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I think my jet vote is self explanatory :D. A 105 would be cool as well, but it would be difficult to get the intakes and ducting done properly in DTFB. EDFs are extremely sensitive to ducting for performance. An F-100 would be a great airframe to do in foamboard though. Straightforward ducting, and I think the fuselage could be done pretty close to scale. would also love a big XB-70 as well..

Last edited:

earthsciteach

That is a GREAT idea! The F-4 Phantom would lend itself to a build very similar to the Viggen. A Mig-21 would be an easy DTFB build and would bring in cylindrical fuselage construction.

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere
Please forgive my ignorance on this, but what material is DTFB? I assume it is Dollar Tree Foam Board.

I'd like to see FT add an EDF category to the FT forum. It might facilitate sharing drawings and lessons learned with EDFs.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Oh yes like a B-52, well ok maybe not that one, yet. But I do like the F-4 would look cool.

Might I suggest the A-6 Intruder as an intimidating looking single EDF flyer.

DTFB is a moniker that stuck though Dollar Tree doesn't make foam board themselves.

Last edited:

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere

DTFB is a moniker that stuck though Dollar Tree doesn't make foam board themselves.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. My apologies to Bill.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I understood what materials were being discussed.

All the best,
Konrad

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I'd like to see FT add an EDF category to the FT forum. It might facilitate sharing drawings and lessons learned with EDFs.

tbh, the Mad/Scratch builder's section is pretty much where all that stuff is, although it is very interspersed with other random stuff.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Well, I think it's pretty clear where my vote lies.... ;)

Here's another video at one of my home fields:

Scottie

This was one of my attempts at an F4....very hard plane too build..... 20150222_195108[1].jpg 20150222_195121[1].jpg 20150222_195137[1].jpg 20150222_195150[1].jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would rather see em run with Wilsonmans Bugatti motor as the turbo prop setup and build a scale Tupolov TU-95. THAT would be impressive.

If I had to go strictly edf I would second the Intruder or even go more modern with a Prowler since they were what we had on the Nimitz back when I was in..

Scottie

Scottie that is a work of art! I know from my solid cedar modelling days how hard the fuse of a fighter jet can be!

Thanks man !
There was a lot of work in that...silly amount actually but it's still an ongoing design process.

The major issue with EDF's as you will probably know is power to weight ratio and of course the UK FB is very heavy :(

I've not given up yet tho.

Cheers

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It looks as though you have mounted the EDF at the very rear of the craft. have you looked into or learned about the concepts of a thrust tube and the effects it has? I recently learned a little thru reading posts here in the forums that were interesting. That may aid you in getting a better flying model.

Scottie

It looks as though you have mounted the EDF at the very rear of the craft. have you looked into or learned about the concepts of a thrust tube and the effects it has? I recently learned a little thru reading posts here in the forums that were interesting. That may aid you in getting a better flying model.

The EDF in that model is a WILDQUICK 70mm unit complete with an intake ring and a thrust tube,I've added a couple of shots for a better view.....

20150203_001613[1].jpg
20150208_102450[1].jpg
20150208_102506[1].jpg

It's mounted there to aid in the balance ,offset with the battery in the nose. It was just too heavy in the end !!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Knowing nothing about them other then the examples I have seen for RC.. Most have theirs more centered over the wings with far longer distance for all that air to travel and be compressed to a tighter outlet. Again I know nothing so pay me no mind if you have already considered this principle.