Collaborators - Build 2 - Slick Trick

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This build uses 3mm FB but would render quite well in the standard 5mm. The customer has requested a 3mm version, (original), so that is what it will be.
Anyone wishing to render in 5mm just advise and any dimension changes or alternate plans will be supplied.

The plane
Bob -Slick Trick- 20160515-3.jpg

Design History
The inspiration for this build/design was another project which was a FB rendition of a Quick Trick the original balsa plans can be found at Outerzone. It was my first foray into making a semi-symmetrical wing profile. The original plane was quite fast especially when fitted with a funfighter motor. Sadly it was always a very fast beast with maneuverability that was incredible but it broke up in midair, (High G outside loop), and rather than replacing a mangled fuselage I built a longer fuselage with easy access, a better wing mounting solution and some dihedral. I also decided to lengthen the wing span whilst still using the original planes remaining wings.

The design was to utilise the offcuts I had around and to be a sport trainer of calm and yet highly spirited performance when required. Initially I ran a 100 watt 1400kV unit and later versions are running Funfighter motors and larger. Option landing gear can be added though it hand launches very well. So far there have been around 6 models produced and the build is for a specific customer order. So far of those built 2 have flown into goal posts, (both still flying after very minor repair and one has been replaced after it did a high speed, low level pass and then the pilot pulled up at the end of the pass spreading the plane over half of the runway! Additionally I did not want to have to fit CF spars or any other reinforcing materials. This design is the result of much flying, crashing, and some serious fun!

This build is of the latest version.

The electronic equipment required
The usual Rx and Tx of course. (4 channel minimum).
9 Gram servos x 4. (Rudder, Elevator, and 2 for Ailerons).
Brushless motor (100 Watt up to Park 400)
Brushless ESC to suit motor selected.
Battery to suit balance or motor current drain (850 3S to 1800 4S)

Materials
3mm FB or equivalent - 5mm plans on request
Minwax or equivalent
Bamboo BBQ Skewers - 3mm dia.
Foam safe glue
Epoxy for mounting motor mount and dihedral braces
3mm Ply
Reinforced packing tape
Self adhesive Velcro for battery retention
A spring wire landing gear (Optional)
Paint, tape or wrap to suit your required colour scheme or finish.

Canopy/Fuselage Jig Materials
Scrap FB pieces. (I will be using 5mm FB for this builds Jig
Glue

Tools Etc
Sharp knife
1 metre Steel ruler
Pencil
Cheap packing tape
Sandpaper

Plans

Plans will be posted when ready. Delay in plans due to redrafting of plans to clarify the design. Original plans overwritten with various modifications and improvements. If individual piece plans are required please advise!

Wing plans: Sorry for the delay but things just seemed to overwhelm me there for a while! Here are the revised basic wing plans with the tail pieces and an other odd piece or 2 from the fuselage.

The build and the Photos will be on a second and often edited post!

Have fun!

Attachments

• Slick Trick Revised Wing.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The Build
The parts are being cut out to the latest plan version and the build will start this weekend.

The tail surfaces
After cutting out the required pieces you will need to cut and bevel the hinges and then cut and clear the reinforcing skewer channels as shown on the plans.
SUNP0013.JPG

Here it gets complicated! First fit and glue the skewer into the vertical fin reinforcing channel and when the glue is dry trim the skewer in line with the base protrusion of the fin.
SUNP0014.JPG

Now seal the exposed edges of the vertical fin with glue especially at the base of what will be the rudder.

Fit and glue the fin into the horizontal fin through the cutouts,
SUNP0015.JPG

Now apply a little glue into the horizontal fin reinforcing slot on the fin underside. now slid the skewer into the slot in the horizontal fin though the hole in the vertical fin. push the skewer into the reinforcing slot and secure until the glue is dry. Check the angle between the vertical and horizontal fins is 90 degrees and wait to the glue to dry or set.
SUNP0016.JPG

The wing centre section
After cutting out and bevelling the LE section just run a BBQ skewer down the fold lines on the inside of the wing panels and crease.bend to give wing its contour. Fit the narrow spar to the Front fold but at an angle so that it fits into the other panel front fold when the panels are folded over into their final position. Repeat the same procedure for the rear spar.

Now apply glue to the LE and the tops of the spars and bring the wing panels together to align at the Trailing edge. When the glue is dry open the TE section and apply the glue to the inside of the TE and bring the edges together until the glue is dry or set.

SUNP0016.JPG

Cut out and fit the dihedral braces to the wing centre section
SUNP0020.JPG

The wing outer panels

The outer wing panels or tips, though tapered assemble exactly the same as the wing centre section. Each one a mirror of the other.

Assembling the wing

The wing assembly is just a matter of cutting the mating surfaces to match the required dihedral angle and sliding the wing panels over the dihedral braces to glue to the wing centre section and the braces themselves of course.

When the wing is assembled and the glue is dry locate and glue on the winglets!
SUNP0021.JPG

Now add the wing locating blocks to the underside of the wing. (Sorry I forgot and had to fit them after the wing was painted).
SUNP0024.JPG

The Canopy/Hatch Jig Build

The jig is cut to match the height of the fuselage internal vertical dimension and has a number of formers each of which has sloping sides (inwards at 60 degrees starting at the level of the fuselage side.

SUNP0013 (2).JPG

The fuselage
Cut out the fuselage base piece and remove the foam in areas indicated. Glue in the landing brace plywood piece. When dry fold up the fuselage and check the wing saddle for fitment of the wing centre panel, Adjust wing saddle cut out as necessary!

After checking the fit, seal or minwax the fuselage bottom outer surface, (this is to stop the tap used to hold the fuselage whilst the glue dries from ripping the paper when it comes time to remove the tape.

Fold up the fuselage sides after applying the glue ensuring that the sides are at right angles to the base Also ensure thet the tail boom is square and not twisted.

Crease the fuselage bottom nose section to facilitate the curve of the side pieces and glue again ensuring the sides are square.

SUNP0013.JPG

When all the glue is dry it is time to fit the fuselage rear deck and the tail pieces. this should be done at the same time to ensure that everything is properly aligned. Let dry.

SUNP0014.JPG

Now fit and glue the wing saddle reinforcing pieces and trim to the wing saddle profile when the glue is dry. Recheck the wing centre section fitment.

The canopy

Fit the canopy jig or former into the fuselage.
SUNP0014 (2).JPG

Fit the canopy side pieces into position and glue the canopy top piece to the canopy sides, (do not get glue on the former). When the glue is dry trim the top piece to match the sides and sand to give best finish.
SUNP0015 (2).JPG

Test fit wing centre section and canopy fitment. Adjust if necessary!

SUNP0017.JPG

Mark and cut off the canopy nose. (Note: canopy illustrated is painted for ease of explaining the process).
SUNP0018.JPG

Glue locating tabs to the loose portion of the canopy!
SUNP0019.JPG

The final assembly
The three pieces all built up.
SUNP0022.JPG

A final test fit or test assembly before the painting is completed!
SUNP0023.JPG

Final livery for this particular build
SUNP0025.JPG

SUNP0026.JPG

The fitout and recommended settings

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For those following I wish to apologize for the tardy progress but I wanted to verify the fuselage plans and the jig for the hatch/canopy. Well at least I do have a test build to verify the plans prior to publication in that one of the flying examples is not flying anymore, (for the time being).

Sadly yesterday our time the owner was trying out spins and recovery and forgot how close the ground was, In the pilots words he just wanted to do one more spin rotation before recovering but did not see how close the ground was. Needless to say it was a power on spiral into the ground which had started at around 200ft. The impact destroyed the fuselage from the wing LE forward and the wing bounced and left the remaining pile of rubble. A check of the wing for damage showed just a single punched in the top surface, (from a prop blade we suspect) but otherwise is flyable condition. So a new fuselage was ordered!

Anyway the wing pieces are cut out and tested for fitment so soon the build will proceed and be finished in a short time.

As a secondary reason or reasons for the tardy progress is that I have been helping a newbie with the outfitting of his planes and fitting.setting up his radio system. This is combined with a new order for the Build one KFM Wings! Getting busy here!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Build completed!

Had to build a second fuselage as one of the flying examples had done a low inverted high speed pass followed rapidly with a sudden application of maximum up! The yellow fuselage is the new fuselage with the original wing fitted!

SUNP0027.JPG

Have fun!