Collaborators - build 3 - Mermaid

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A long time ago now I was trying to reconnect with my youth and finally learn to fly RC. Much had changed but then a lot was still the same.

Having been raised in the Balsa and Gas building days and all the expense and time needed I was drawn to the current state of the art especially the current electric foamies and what they offer in performance.

So in April 2015 I started to search around for information on home building in foam and found something called Depron. I downloaded a few designs I was interested in and slowly began building the Depron models. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. It shelved the downloaded plans for later. Sadly in the meantime the local supplier of sheet Depron decided to no longer stock the material. Anyway by then I had found foamboard!

The reason for the long preamble is that I intend to redo the mermaid in foamboard and a search of the FT website revealed that there was a previous post related to the same model. See - https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mermaid.22014/

Mermaid.jpg

Electronics.jpg

Design objectives
Foamboard is inherently heavier than Depron, it is also thinner though in its standard form it is stronger or more rigid.
I have a large collection of FB scraps and Offcuts which I need to use up or place in landfill.
A portion of my FB scraps are starting to delaminate so I will be stripping the paper from the FB for a lot of the build BUT the areas requiring the FB to have paper attached will be cut from fresh material.
As the FB is heavier than the original material careful attention will need to be paid to ensuring that the model can run a small to medium size battery so careful attention the tail and boom weight and strength will be required.
Finally I wish to build it as light as the structural design will allow.

The original design
Please find attached the original Depron plans, (Tiled plans available if requested).
The original plane is suitable for grass and water take off and landing. I have no local water suitable so if anyone wishes to build I would appreciate their input on the water performance.

The build commences
Cut out the wings, (one port and one starboard) as per the plans from fresh FB. The aileron hinge is to be cut into the upper surface of each wing and the CF mentioned on the plan can have the channel marked but NOT cut at this time. Depending on the FB strength the CF tubes may not be required.

Cut out the Horizontal tail member bad again the hinge line will be cut in the upper surface. The CF line will be the line for the BBQ skewer. Once all the parts are ready for assembly a quick balance check will be done and the tail members may actually have some of their paper removed prior to assembly.

More progress will be added as time allows along with supporting pics, Though I will need ot make the pics somewhat smaller than the pics on past projects

Have fun!

Attachments

• Mermaid_parts_A0.pdf
    215.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Having a gap in production/orders I pushed through a bit further with my FB Mermaid.

I got all of the parts cut out and removed all of the paper from the FB except for the central vertical tail, the Horizontal tail and the wings.

The current list of plan amendments is as follows;
1. The rudder/tail mounting cutout on the upper deck reduced in thickness to match the thickness of the FB.
2. On fuselage side pieces reduce the bottom step, (keel step), to the thickness of the FB by raising the rearwards line.
3. On the fuselage side pieces reduce the thickness of the deck cutout/slot to the thickness of the FB by lowering the top/upper line.
4. On the fuselage side pieces reduce the thickness of the wing slot to the thickness of the FB by raising the bottom line.
5. The ply reinforcing of the central upper wing brace pair was replaced with, 1 mm, Balsa grain vertical.
6. Horizontal Stabiliser the CF Spar replaced with strip of 5x1mm Balsa grain across stabiliser.
7. Tail centre elements all paper left on.
8. Wing paper left on.
9. Wing spar replaced by strip of 5x1mm Balsa.
10 .Due to dimensional differences between FB and the original depron the Wing braces are not in contact with the fuselage sides so a packing piece of balsa is added to each wing brace to allow the fuselage side to be glued to the wing braces

Please find attached the Depron construction document and a few pics of the current state of the build.

My build;
SUNP0013.JPG

SUNP0014.JPG

more later as I progress.

Have fun!

Attachments

• Mermaid_Build_V1.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Updated the amendments listing on the second post.

progressed to reinforcing the wings and tail prior to fitment.

Progress Pics

SUNP0013 (2).JPG

SUNP0014 (2).JPG

SUNP0015.JPG

SUNP0016.JPG

More next time!

Have fun!

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
I am keeping my eye on this.

I assembled this in my head when you released the prints and from what I could tell, it looks like it will be a nice looking aircraft. If I ever get caught up on my other projects, I just might try my hand at this one. It could be a good winter build/flier.(y)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You are welcome to do as you wish but as I am building mine out of paperless FB, (slightly less rigid than the original Depron material there will be a few alterations apart from the ones dictated by the differing material thickness.

As I am about to permanently attach the wings I was checking the fuselage strength and I am not happy about the deck strength in the nose area. I currently intend to add a vertical former in the nose section under the deck as I am unsure if the deck will remain in place with a heavy battery if I land it a bit too roughly, (a common experience on a maiden - for me).

Anyway back to marking the wings to get proper alignment before I pour in the epoxy!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Fitted the wings and bottom dihedral braces as per original instructions.

Assembled the tail feather pieces they are next.

Progress Pics today!

7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

10.JPG

More soon!

Have fun!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Did a little more today!

Decided to use 3.7 gram servos for the tail, (to aid in balance and because I actually had some).

Anyway progress pics below!

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

More next time. Getting close it is starting to look like a plane now.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A little progress see below pics.

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

Will be borrowing a motor and ESC from another project for this one. So bare with me, (I still enjoy flying the donor craft.

Next step is to fit the control horns and pushrods.

More later!

Have fun!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have received new orders for some planes from the local outlet and so I will be trying to fit this in between the builds and the preparing of the next project. Currently it is planned to have this flying next weekend my time, (weather permitting that is).

Anyway the current progress in the build is as below.

A number of modifications necessitated by the change in material will be supplied as the final build post.

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

More later!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It has been over a year since this project was started! Sadly I had a busy period which caused me to shelve the bird for a couple of months and when I got back to it the wings had warped beyond redemption:rolleyes:. So I just shelved it again and actually robbed most of the electrics assigned to the project!

Anyway this bird is not dead but will be brought back into service with a wing replacement first. I built a Sea Otter, and had a Sea Duck that I got working, flew a few times and then gave away, (i did not have the room for it!

Just a few more builds to complete and this project will be back on the table! I need to finish a few build threads and this will be the first of the old threads to be finalized!

Have fun!