Color scheme for good visibility

northPOW

hi,

today i will get some acrylic water based paint from Baumarkt (hardware store).

What are good colors? I plan to paint left and right wing in different colors and upper and under side.
I want to buy only two colors.

Any tipps?

AircPirateTomadai

airc-pirates.com
Hi northPOW

for my very first RC Plane, a Dynam Hawk Sky, I used the acrylic water based paint from Renovo, available at Hagebaumarkt. The color works very well with EPO but adds some weight too.
Simply choose a dark and a bright color (not blue) from the color palette that give a nice combination - they look awesome in the air and give a nice contrast to the blue sky and grey clouds.

My personal tipps for a nice result with using this colors:
You put it bountifully on the surface with a wide brush and roll it over with a funguid paint roller (recommended) immediately after because it drys very fast. The first layer of color should cover the surface very well. In case you are not happy with the cover of the first layer add a second layer of color when the first one is dry but do not use the brush for this second one anymore. Somehow the color does not like brushes and produces ugly color lumbs with more than one layer.

When dry the color gives a very nice looking smooth and sturdy surface. Bellylandings on dry earth with short grass should not be a problem too.

renovo_01.jpg
renovo_02.jpg
renovo_03.jpg
renovo_04.jpg

northPOW

Your plane look nice. And I also dont like brushes. So I will get a paint roller. We dont have Hagen in town. I was in OBI there you can buy Styrofoam primer:

The sales man told me after this you can use any pain you want. I was 6,49 Euro for 150ml.

How do you make the Logo and Letters?

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow Pirate that plane looks amazing.

What I use here is sandable primer for automotive use. Before I prime I use Gorilla wood glue to cover any exposed areas. then when I prime I BARELY cover anything and let that dry and then build up until everything is covered perfectly. After that its down to what ever color paint you wish to use.

Here is the last plane I did in primer.. then in finish coats.

Primer 2.jpg

Final 1.jpg

The trick is with the priming to be Extremely light handed until everything is covered and dry

northPOW

I will try this:

ambulanzflug.jpg

White is my primer so i need only red. but i will make some red on the wings.

I never painted anything in my life (okay walls). How do i make curves?

Excalibre

Late Learner
Hi NorthPOW
You need to paint your white primer coat first then get some blue painters tape and mark out your curved design. Then mask off the area you wish to keep white. You can attach newspaper or a big plastic bag to the tape to cover all the white on the plane so it doesn't get any red overspray on it. Once you have painted the red leave it to dry remove the newspaper or plastic bag, then gently peel the tape off and your done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfaC9C9rn78

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Use frog tape and never let it fully dry before removing any tape no matter what brand you go with. You want it tacky so the edges do not chip up and so the paint relaxes and does not leave a sharp ridge to collect dirt.

northPOW

You want it tacky so the edges do not chip up and so the paint relaxes and does not leave a sharp ridge to collect dirt.

Sorry i dont understand this sentence. Even dict.cc and google translate was not helpfull ;). Okay after google i was entirely confused

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh .. sorry.. All that means is when you paint do not let the paint fully dry before pulling the tape off. That tends to leave chipped edges with certain tapes. If you pull the tape while it is still not cured the edges will relax and not be straight up where you can feel them or the can collect dirt.

paint example.jpg