K3V0

Elite member
Good afternoon!I just finished building an FT Bushwhacker!
7579FCBF-BA53-4E95-96A7-0998CC0C16C6.jpeg

Even though I’m by no means an artist, I’m proud of the work!🙂 I’ve gotten some positive feedback regarding this paint scheme and it made me want to start a thread on decorating our planes and ultimately, bringing more color and creativity to our skys!

My goal here is to share and learn. Let’s hear how this community creates this facet of the hobby. If you’d like, please share your builds! We want to see them! How you decorated it and with what materials. How long did it take you? Is it going well or are you frustrated by something?

I’ll start off with this latest build.
4B7A8DD1-2CFE-4836-BABE-0D019642F276.jpeg

FT Bushwhacker
Dtfb
Aluminum foil ( an Overstreet trick I just picked up)
Minwax polyurethane x2 coats
Foam brushes
Paper towels
Gloves
Masking tape of different widths
B4F97592-845C-4664-905D-51A9205A8EEA.jpeg

Montana spray paint
38863FA1-DC02-4FA5-81F5-2CB94C2EA200.jpeg

I started by going over with the yellow. I did four coats with 10-20 minutes between each light coat.
034874B4-CD26-4EC1-B29A-366121ABDDAE.jpeg
C1243052-94BA-4C0F-A6D9-EAFA9CCDF831.jpeg

then I used foil, tape and paper to mask off the desired pattern. I had a general idea of what I wanted but I tried a few things before I settled on a design. I was moving quickly through this part so no pictures.
9EDB0913-F524-4545-8813-DC011AFE9D6E.jpeg

I did two rather heavy coats of the black. If it was the base color or I was going for more nuance in the paint scheme I would have done more but lighter coats. I peeled off all the tape and masking after about 20 minutes but I let the plane dry overnight before handling it again. This morning I put her together and tried out the electronics
F9AAC704-7665-49A4-BD29-3D33B27B00CB.jpeg
52214C93-D904-4B89-9F48-DE0B6C5144F1.jpeg

Thanks for reading and hopefully sharing!
Happy painting all!

FastCrash45

Elite member
Good afternoon!I just finished building an FT Bushwhacker! View attachment 155630
Even though I’m by no means an artist, I’m proud of the work!🙂 I’ve gotten some positive feedback regarding this paint scheme and it made me want to start a thread on decorating our planes and ultimately, bringing more color and creativity to our skys!

My goal here is to share and learn. Let’s hear how this community creates this facet of the hobby. If you’d like, please share your builds! We want to see them! How you decorated it and with what materials. How long did it take you? Is it going well or are you frustrated by something?

I’ll start off with this latest build.
View attachment 155632
FT Bushwhacker
Dtfb
Aluminum foil ( an Overstreet trick I just picked up)
Minwax polyurethane x2 coats
Foam brushes
Paper towels
Gloves
Masking tape of different widths View attachment 155637
Montana spray paint View attachment 155636
I started by going over with the yellow. I did four coats with 10-20 minutes between each light coat. View attachment 155633 View attachment 155634
then I used foil, tape and paper to mask off the desired pattern. I had a general idea of what I wanted but I tried a few things before I settled on a design. I was moving quickly through this part so no pictures. View attachment 155635
I did two rather heavy coats of the black. If it was the base color or I was going for more nuance in the paint scheme I would have done more but lighter coats. I peeled off all the tape and masking after about 20 minutes but I let the plane dry overnight before handling it again. This morning I put her together and tried out the electronics View attachment 155639 View attachment 155638
Thanks for reading and hopefully sharing!
Happy painting all!
That looks really good!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
🤯see that’s what I’m talking about! Great idea!
Thanks, I also use the blue masking tape for the making the lines, but I use regular clear tape from a tape dispenser to tape the paper masking to the blue tape, because it's easier to dispense.

K3V0

Elite member
Thanks @buzzbomb! Your planes always look sharp too! And i know about short life expectancy of fb planes 😆! All those folks you mentioned and more have passed through my mind as I consider designs and technique. If my planes look good it’s because of the community of like minded people willing to help new comers.

K3V0

Elite member
Thanks everyone! It’s been a goal to build this plane for a while! Hopefully get to maiden it soon I’m not even sure it fits in my Subaru!🤨 I was just looking at the p-38 plans this morning!