Colorado flite testers!

jaredstrees

Hey everyone! My family (and I, they're not leaving me behind yet!) and considering a move to Colorado, Denver area. So I have a few questions!

Flying fields? clubs? Anything near this area? We're specifically looking into the Golden, Littleton area west of Denver.

Anyone from this area have good recommendations on good places to buy a home? Again, we know about where we want to go, but looking for a little local knowledge here.

How much harder is it really to fly in the thinner air?

Any other advice or ideas or local knowledge is appreciated! thanks anyone, and to whomever is in the area, hopefully this goes through and I'll get to meet you soon!

nightm0de

Hey! Welcome to Colorado! I cant speak for the Denver area but there are several clubs in Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is a booming city with housing prices raising every year.

As far as the thin air goes..... It does make a difference. I would not expect great performance from heavy aircraft or anything with an EDF. I built the X29 and literally had to throw it off of a 20ft hill to get it to fly. It cant be hand launched like you see in the videos.

If you are ever in the springs area, check us out.

www.coloradospringselectricflyers.com

jaredstrees

Will do!

Most of my planes aren't that heavy, but I do have a few EDF's, might have to build a catapult to launch them!

IcedStorm777

Ok so i live down by monument which is fifty miles south of Denver. As far as housing locations i would reccomend monument colorado springs are way more than denver but it depends if you want the bigger city feel or if you like a more country/city feel. As far as flying clubs the nice thing about colorado springs over denver is you can usually just find a park and fly their. For example i consistently fly in the Air Force Academy (safely) as they have 4 soccer fields, a great view, and an indoor football field that is GREAT for little planes. The thin air can be annoying for EDF's and and big hand launches but for most of the flitetest stuff you should be fine as they tend to have a lot of lift. Congratulations! Colorado is a GREAT place to live!

jaredstrees

Well, as it turns out, Colorado Springs is apparently where I'll end up. Still have lots of details to get sorted, but looks more like Colorado Springs is where my company has an opening. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

jaredstrees

Alright! I've received and accepted a job offer in Colorado Springs! We'll be moving out around mid July. Also have already located a house in south Colorado Springs area on Cheyenne Mountain. Looking forward to getting out there and meeting with the local FTer's and clubs!

mayan

Legendary member
@jaredstrees good luck with the move and the new job position. Looking forward to seeing videos and pictures of you flying with the other forum members in the area.

Look no hands

Ok so i live down by monument which is fifty miles south of Denver. As far as housing locations i would reccomend monument colorado springs are way more than denver but it depends if you want the bigger city feel or if you like a more country/city feel. As far as flying clubs the nice thing about colorado springs over denver is you can usually just find a park and fly their. For example i consistently fly in the Air Force Academy (safely) as they have 4 soccer fields, a great view, and an indoor football field that is GREAT for little planes. The thin air can be annoying for EDF's and and big hand launches but for most of the flitetest stuff you should be fine as they tend to have a lot of lift. Congratulations! Colorado is a GREAT place to live!

Look no hands

I heard flying at afa is possible if you have military I’d. Thought they had a student club there too.
I fly in Monument over dirty woman creek with my kid. We battle - he wins - I repair. Love every minute of it.

IcedStorm777

I heard flying at afa is possible if you have military I’d. Thought they had a student club there too.
I fly in Monument over dirty woman creek with my kid. We battle - he wins - I repair. Love every minute of it.

Awesome, i fly mostly at the church of all nations in the springs. Sometimes i fly at the academy in the indoor football field if no one is there as it works REALLY well for UMX.

jaredstrees

Awesome, i fly mostly at the church of all nations in the springs. Sometimes i fly at the academy in the indoor football field if no one is there as it works REALLY well for UMX.

Flite Testers! I am here and have gotten the planes (mostly) dusted off. I am in south Colorado Springs, and I have to say, I love Colorado! I am not missing that suffocating humidity of Florida at all. I'm hoping this weekend or next I can get to a field. If you will all let me know if, when and where I'd love to try to meet up this weekend or next!

agates1967

I do most of my flying in un-busy parks, but the airfield at Chatfield State park has nice runways and a covered table area. I haven't spent a lot of time there, but construction nearby is shrinking the available airspace. They also want you to be AMA to use it, but you can go with a member 'buddy' like 5 times without needing a membership.

IcedStorm777

I do most of my flying in un-busy parks, but the airfield at Chatfield State park has nice runways and a covered table area. I haven't spent a lot of time there, but construction nearby is shrinking the available airspace. They also want you to be AMA to use it, but you can go with a member 'buddy' like 5 times without needing a membership.

So what part of Colorado do you live in?

kevinjt4

I live in Westminster, there's a new park off Lowell and I-76 that's usually pretty empty after I get off work. Daylight savings is in the way of that now though.

Are you referring to Tori Square Park? Seems pretty small. I'm just down off I-70 and Federal and still looking for a place without the municipality sign stating "permit required".

agates1967

Are you referring to Tori Square Park? Seems pretty small. I'm just down off I-70 and Federal and still looking for a place without the municipality sign stating "permit required".

clear creek valley park. havent been hassled yet, but i only bring the minis there