Colorado town considers licensing bounty hunters to shoot down drones

SubZero-AK

Frozen Idiot
How incredibly stupid...

This idea that the federal government is piloting recreational sized drones over it's citizens within the range of a shotgun is simply FANTASY!

Sounds like Deer Lake, Colorado is pumping the stupid for money. I guess if they can get these morons to pay up for a license to hunt drones then the adage that a fool and he money are soon parted holds true yet again.

If the government wanted to monitor you, they don't have to be in your tiny little airspace over your pathetic postage stamp you call your sovereign property. But then again, ask they should ask themselves why they think the government is "spying" on them with drones anyway...I for one would love to hear the response.

Seems ironic to me that a city that claims drones are a threat to “traditional American ideas of Liberty and Freedom” , would force it's citizens to get a permit to defend their own sovereignty.

Thanks for the laugh

Mark

RoyBro

Mentor
I would give no credence to anything posted on that website. Especially since the story is about a small town "considering" an ordinance. Even if that were true, it's far from becoming an ordinance. I'm sure someone would realize just how legally vulnerable they and any bounty hunter who might happen to shoot down a recreational copter that has no camera for either FPV or aerial cinematography.

The story itself smacks of being the result of some off the cuff questioning occurring in the local bar. My guess is that the small town officials are surprised that they are considering any such thing.

buggyboat

It's legit. There is more to the story though. Symbolic gesture is what thay are calling it. Link to the local paper - http://gazette.com/colorado-town-considers-drone-hunting-licenses/article/1503588

I agree about that first website, lots of nuts there.

I didn't know about FPV till I came accross a video on youtube. To me a drone was a drone. Wish there was a better way to get the word out so some politician, trying to justify his existance, doesnt go and ban it outright before I get to try it.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
" Shooters must use shotguns, 12-gauge or smaller, firing lead, steel or depleted uranium ammunition "

LMAO That's funny. Those kooks are probably serious too.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Those people making regulations in Colorado are definitely taking advantage of the states laws concerning Marijuana!:p

Thurmond

jaygreco

I live in Colorado. The people that live in this part of the state are the kind of people whose parents are also probably brother and sister. Don't fret, Deer Trail, no one wants to come near your town in the middle of nowhere just to fly their multirotor.

aiidanwings

I live in Colorado. The people that live in this part of the state are the kind of people whose parents are also probably brother and sister. Don't fret, Deer Trail, no one wants to come near your town in the middle of nowhere just to fly their multirotor.

I kinda do...

RoyBro

Mentor
I live in Colorado. The people that live in this part of the state are the kind of people whose parents are also probably brother and sister.

Deer Trail isn't that far from Denver. From what you said, I thought it would way out closer to the Nebraska border. And the residents would be, you know, be Corn Husker fans. :p

Billchuck

This kind of attitude doesn't help anyone. These people feel they have valid concerns, however ridiculous you think they are. Insulting them turns this into a fight instead of a discussion, and hobbyists won't win against politicians in a fight. Keeping this hobby from being legislated away requires education, not insults.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
This kind of attitude doesn't help anyone. These people feel they have valid concerns, however ridiculous you think they are. Insulting them turns this into a fight instead of a discussion, and hobbyists won't win against politicians in a fight. Keeping this hobby from being legislated away requires education, not insults.
This is very true. I have run into people who don't understand what the legislators are calling "drones" and truly do not understand that what we do as a hobby is being lumped in with the military/law enforcement portion of the ban legislation. Once I point out just a few of the things that can be beneficial, besides our hobby, such as commercial photography, search and rescue, and other types of environments that would benefit from having agile, mobile eyes on site that the remote rovers cannot do, since they simply do not fly, they completely change their mind about them. Most of the people who are adamant against drones, are the same type of people with a vehement distrust of the government and will do what it takes to keep governmental control in check in their mind. The trouble is, banning drones will make no difference to the private sector at large, besides killing our hobby, and will actually keep the balance of power in the governments hands, as once the drones are outlawed, the government will be the only ones with drones. Many people are afraid of someone parking a multirotor outside their window to spy on them. What they don't realize is that we already have privacy laws to prevent this exact type of thing from happening.
So, rather than trying to ridicule the people who are being led by their local politicians fear-mongering, we need to teach them that pretty much all of the aerial photography, being done by us in the hobby, is either landscape type shoots or commercial photography, not peeking in windows. If they know what is going on they can then make an informed decision and not the knee jerk one they are making now.

Besides, I know I have blinds on my windows in case I feel like wandering around the house nekkid, not that anyone WANTS to see that!

Last edited: