Colorex's First Foamie (non RC)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you guys know that I built a little hand-launched plane, out of the foam I posted in the "foam" thread. It flew pretty well (still does) after a lot of trimming. I made the design myself, just drew it on the foam, and cut it out.

I made this just to get a feel for the foam. It seems to be really effective!

Feel free to tell me what you think!

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Looking good! With your enthusiasm, I'm sure this is just the first of many, many more to come.

How well does it glide? Maybe you could fashion some sort of launch device, out of a pole, and rubberbands.

Be sure and keep us posted on all your "flitetests".

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It looses power at the end, that's where I need the motor. I think it has a very slow stall speed, but that's just because it's wingloading is super low. Because it's foam.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Wow, that flies nice and straight! I wonder what giving it a bit of a KFm2 airfoil would do.

I sure thought about it, but I want to keep this rare foam for better projects.

I just remembered that there is a kind of foam that they use as plates for cakes, but I don't know if big sizes are available. I'll research.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I just remembered that there is a kind of foam that they use as plates for cakes
We can get a nice tray when ordering hamburgers with fries (or similar) "to go".

The depron is fine for smaller indoor gliders. The bent edge makes an almost "perfect airfoil" and adds stbility. One half of the tray makes one model. Cut it a little diagonally so that the widest part is to the fuselage.
The wings:
081115-00a.JPG

The remains
081114-01.JPG

Airwolf

It's depron (at least it's similar to depron). I don't know about Ecuador but in Poland the best source for this foam (apart from hobby stores) are DIY stores where it's sold in big, flat sheets as floor insulation (and is very popular in the RC community, because it's dirt cheap compared to foam sold in hobby stores).

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It's depron (at least it's similar to depron). I don't know about Ecuador but in Poland the best source for this foam (apart from hobby stores) are DIY stores where it's sold in big, flat sheets as floor insulation (and is very popular in the RC community, because it's dirt cheap compared to foam sold in hobby stores).

GAAAAHHH Why can't they sell it in sheets here!

I asked today, the largest food tray costs about $0.30, and it's a very small usable piece since the edges are raised. I have seen ice-cream dessert trays (round) that are flat, maybe 30 - 35 cm diameter. I'll keep looking.

I got the plan for the Manta 3D printed, But I think I will need 3mm foam instead of 5mm.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah 3mm is what most of the shockies are made from.

You will also need a lot of CFK flat rods for stiffening the elevator and wing.
Then some more round ones for most of the other stuff that has to me mounted and stiffened.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yeah 3mm is what most of the shockies are made from.

You will also need a lot of CFK flat rods for stiffening the elevator and wing.
Then some more round ones for most of the other stuff that has to me mounted and stiffened.

CF will be hard/expensive to get. I will try using something else, maybe bamboo strips. I have a lot of that.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
colorex? do you have 5mm foam?

Yeah, some kind of foam. Neon yellow on one side,
about 48g/liter, 3mm Depron has 40g/litre and 6mm Depron has 33g/litre
I think it's to heavy for the Manta at 50cm wingspan. What do you think?

IMG_1137.jpg

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
no i dont think it would be to heavy. if you were making a 3d model, than yes, possibly, but the manta is some kind of glider if im not mistaking. it should fly. if you are planing on adding an airfoil on it, then you can get more lift out of it then with 3mm depron.
your glider looked like if it was made out of that foam, and that seemed to fly quite well. EPO has 100 g/l so yeahh.. it should work.

edit: if your plans are in 3mm depron, then its not that hard to make them fit for 5mm, there are many things you can do to make it work

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
If you think about it.

How many "liters" do you use in a shocky?
Probably 1,5liters? Estimated?

So this would just make a plus of 12 grams more if you say that shockies are mostly made from 3mm depron.
Shouldn´t be too bad on my opinion.
You might not even notice it if you don´t use too much glue instead, which many people do.