Colorex's Tricopter - Aerial Video

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I flew my tricopter again, after rebuilding it because of a crash induced by a lost motor. This is the third time I lifted it off the ground. I still need to tweak it - especially the CG. Right now the tail boom is quite heavy and when I power up hard it tilts to the back which is not good. Also when slowing a fast drop by raising the throttle, you'll need a lot of forward stick to keep it level.

I run an RCExplorer V2.5 setup, with a different home-built frame. I use a KeyChain camera from HobbyKing.com that I got from bmsweb to do the aerial recording. Thanks!

I only reached about 15 meters (50 feet) of altitude. I find it hard to descend efficiently. I will try higher altitudes soon. I'll also add a wide angle lens to my camera. I'm happy with how the KeyChain camera performed, very good framerate because of the bright sunny day. I only need a wider angle of view, which I'll fix with a cheap plastic jelly lens from ebay.

I had the KeyChain and a Canon camera filming the action (which may not be a good idea considering the kind of people that live in my town). I will try to get all the footage uploaded, maybe edited as well.

FULL build log coming soon.

"Much to learn, I still have."

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I did enable YouTube anti-shakiness... I'll try to remove that so you can see how well the tricopter performs. I had the keychain camera taped straight to the aluminum tubing, without any anti-vibration stuff, and I didn't get shaky or jelly video. And I haven't even balanced the props yet.

The biggest issue is the back arm dragging because of the unbalanced weight.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Congratulations man! Looks like she is flying well!!!! I liked the shot where you got that little bit higher and you could see the town! Now that you've done that, you know we are expecting a lot more footage :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Congratulations man! Looks like she is flying well!!!! I liked the shot where you got that little bit higher and you could see the town! Now that you've done that, you know we are expecting a lot more footage :)

I love that part too... I was just up to the point where my nerve let me. If I go any higher, I feel that I'm going to lose it during the descent. I just can't judge inclination or altitude or speed when it's above me... I could totally do this with FPV, though!

I'll have a trip to the Jehovah's Witnesses branch office in Guayaquil, they sure have some beautiful landscape over there, it's a safe place to be, and they have big open spaces. I'll definitely take my tricopter and camera with me.

I was surprised of how stable and non-shaky it was - considering all the jelly footage you see online!

Now I'll keep practicing and start saving up for FPV gear. If I get a better camera it will be only for photos for now. I can't afford a HD video editing machine.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Not sure if you have seen AeroSim RC on Hobby Kings new product page, but it has an FPV module and you can even use Satellite images to make up your scene when FPVing. It doesn't look too bad. Mind you they listed it yesterday for $59.99 and now its jumped up in price :mad:

I've never flown a TriCopter, so I can tell you for sure, you're better at it than me :)

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hmmm... I'm fine with my free simulator. I prefer spending that money on FPV gear!

Mind you it looks really cool.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Congrats on your finished Tricopter Build Colorex. NICE (!!!) video. I love the high altitude part, too. :D:D

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Very good !! Congratulations !,
I also like the higher part.
The keychain cam is doing a remarkable good job.
Looks indeed like your area is a very interesting one for recording a high flight !
Mark.

PaulT

Mentor
Yeah! Who wants to go visit Andre in Equador now?
For the price, those silly little keychain cameras are a bargain.
Good job on the build.

earthsciteach

I teach with a lady who spent part of her summer teaching in Ecuador. I don't know where she was, but she absolutely fell in love with the people and the country! I'd love to do that sometime soon, myself.