Combat Quadcopters / Drones Aka a Nearly Real Dogfight Experience

RC Lover

Since I haven't found the "Combat" section in this forum, I'll post this thread here...
We must admit the current battle drones on the market are a bit messy. It's very difficult to understand who is winning and who is losing. When one drone comes down the other one follows up (crashing into each other "mode"), which is simply ludicrous!
Some battle drones use infrared sensors to simulate the dogfight, but, except for some flashing LEDs and for the fact that the drone is forced to land when one of the players gets shot, there isn’t anything that causes a “real” damage to the RC aircraft. In this way the game becomes soon boring and, as a result, players tend to crash the drones against each other to have more fun. This is a super messy way of playing this game (at least to me!).
With my Combat Drones I've created a few important features, that add fun to the game:
1) A mechanism that visually makes extremely clear that the drone has been shot (aka canopy hatching).
2) A visible counter (aka Strike 3 "Technology"), that uses LEDs that mark how many times the drone has been shot.
3) Sounds that alert the other player when he is under the fire of his opponent.
4) Last but not least, an important feature for the safety: you'll never lose control of your drone. My system simulates the ejection that occurs when the distressed pilot, realises he is not in control anymore of his own airplane.
The instant hatch of the canopy is the best trademark that establishes the aircraft is falling down.
I thought that adding theses unique features to the drones will add more fun to the dogfight, especially when played using the FPV (First Person View) system.
This project has been published on Instructables website, please take a look at it...
https://www.instructables.com/id/Combat-Drones-Quadcopter-Aka-a-Real-Dogfight-Exper/

ThumbnailCombatDrones.jpg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Link us to where people are actually smashing up their quads intentionally please.

I am a huge fan if darwinian antics and just want to see this and how bad it will effect the hobby over all.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Uhm, how on earth did you do that OSD? @wilmracer may want to have a look for a project he is doing. Any means to customize an OSD we are both quite interested in.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Uhm, how on earth did you do that OSD? @wilmracer may want to have a look for a project he is doing. Any means to customize an OSD we are both quite interested in.

Betaflight osd is the most detailed and customizable and is built into most if not all of their newer flight controllers.

RC Lover

Link us to where people are actually smashing up their quads intentionally please.

I am a huge fan if darwinian antics and just want to see this and how bad it will effect the hobby over all.

I believe it's just about the boredom of playing with the current Battle Drones...
skip to 5:25
skip to 12:39

Last edited:

RC Lover

Oh, the OSD is just a "clickbait" I made myself. The core of the game is to make visibly clear that the other drone has been shot.
In other words, It's an old style dogfight.

Last edited: