Prototype and the FT Corsair

MM Stearman Plans

Full Size :

Attachments

• P-17 Stearman.pdf
    15.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Heavy313

Very Cool! One set of Ailerons or two? It looks like only one set on the bottom wing, does it matter top or bottom?
I might have thrown a second wing on the TT, I have yet to fly it but....
IMG_0216 (Large).JPG
IMG_0217 (Large).JPG
IMG_0218 (Large).JPG

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Very Cool! One set of Ailerons or two? It looks like only one set on the bottom wing, does it matter top or bottom?
I might have thrown a second wing on the TT, I have yet to fly it but....

Thanks.

Cool. Move the bottom wing forward and you would have a Beech Stagger Wing. :)

I have only one set of ailerons at present. I am going for scale flying with this one. If it turns out it is not enough, then I will add a second set to the top wing with linkage to the bottom ailerons.

I don't think it really matters top or bottom. I have had it on the bottom on other planes and it seemed to work well.

Tim

Last edited:

Heavy313

Great stuff man, I maidened the Bipe yesterday and it was super tail heavy, basically I couldn't move the battery far enough forward, I ended up with 50gr!! of Weight at the nose, havn't flown it yet to see if that smooths it out but I spent half my maiden pointed straight up :( lol! I have a couple of ideas (I need to replace the 9g servos with 5g and move them WAY forward and maybe a bigger batt (1000vs800mah 3s)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You can also try moving the wings back a bit - that could solve the balance problem without adding dead weight.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Yeah, 9g servos in an MM size plane is generally a bad idea. Moving 5g servos for ward will help a lot. The balance should improve as you are removing mass from the tail and adding it to the nose at the same time. It'll also be quite a bit lighter. Over the summer I'd suggest that you build a swappable sized plane as you'd get a much larger area to balance the plane.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Great stuff man, I maidened the Bipe yesterday and it was super tail heavy, basically I couldn't move the battery far enough forward, I ended up with 50gr!! of Weight at the nose, havn't flown it yet to see if that smooths it out but I spent half my maiden pointed straight up :( lol! I have a couple of ideas (I need to replace the 9g servos with 5g and move them WAY forward and maybe a bigger batt (1000vs800mah 3s)

Yeah, that's how it goes with these old biplanes. You need to drop in a bigger motor or add a bunch of weight if you're not really careful on the tail design.

Check out the plans for my Gloster Gladiator. It's essentially the same size and weight range, 24.25" wingspan, but I got creative on tail design.

Mighty Mini Gloster Gladiator Beta v.4 Full
Mighty Mini Gloster Gladiator Beta v.4 Tiled

Remove paper from the foamboard wherever possible, and use interior supports (a couple foam rectangles can gain you a lot of strength back).

You'll also notice I really dropped the deck height on the tail. This makes it skinnier and weaker, but with reinforcement that doesn't matter. Posterboard, or in my case, just plane printer paper is much lighter than the foamboard you replace it with.

Also consider adding landing gear. It's a good way to get a bit more weight out in front of the CG.

Crazy Goats

Hahaha, under 250 grams! Good. Take that FAA. I really like to see everyones beautiful mini planes. It makes me want a mini power pack.....