communal Canopy Tents at the flight line?

techbear

Everyone is encouraged to bring Canopy Tents for the flight line. I don't have one, but I'd love a place to put my plane and radio while I'm not flying. Will there be canopy tents for that purpose? Or are we supposed to store our planes and gear in another place? Or should we only store them in our cars?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I would not leave stuff laying around unattended. The recommendation is to keep stuff locked up if nobody will be with it.

rcbif

Yup, per their latest e-mail

"Bring your Canopy Tent for the Flight Line
Pilots can bring their own canopy tent to place on the flight line for a hangout spot, so bring chairs, small tables, etc. Please note that this is not a camping spot. Pilots are responsible for their own canopy tent when leaving the flight line! You can leave it set up, but please take valuable belongings with you. "

Many leave their stuff in the build tents, but I would only do so if you know friends will be there to watch it.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If you're camping, I store my planes in the car at night and then in my tent when I wake up and exit it. This year, I'm opting for a hotel as I'm coming straight from a holiday in upstate NY and will have limited space in my car and don't want to deal with the camping gear. As such, I will be keeping my planes in my car or hotel until I'm ready to fly. I'll be volunteering this year as a FliteCrew so I suspect my ability to fly will be even more limited than in previous years.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FYI makattack, Last year I stored stuff over night in my truck for people staying off site. I'm sure you might be able to find someone willing to do that for you so you don't have to haul it back and forth. (ps I'll be there wed-sun)

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I left my canopy tent and table overnight on the flight line no problem, dont remember anybody having issues with that. But yeah, store you planes and electronics safely somewhere overnight.

donalson

If you're camping, the spot is big enough to fit your vehicle and tent. Camp site size is pretty generous!

awesome, granted I'll be at the TX event but I expect things similar... I was wondering about how difficult it would be to haul things back and forth from the car and tent.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
awesome, granted I'll be at the TX event but I expect things similar... I was wondering about how difficult it would be to haul things back and forth from the car and tent.

Heh, the most difficult thing is tripping over my tent stakes and guy lines. I usually set my tent up right behind my car so the rear hatch opens up towards my tent door.

donalson

Heh, the most difficult thing is tripping over my tent stakes and guy lines. I usually set my tent up right behind my car so the rear hatch opens up towards my tent door.

... my original plan was to bring 2 tents, I've got a backpacking small 2 man that I use for bike touring that is very comfy for sleeping... and then an old 5 man dome that was given to me that doesn't breathe very well so it's miserable to sleep in with the rainfly on... but would be perfect to stash everything in... also sounds like we've got plenty of room for cooking kit and such then eh?... I'm still trying to drag someone with me but

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Yeah i think camp size is a regulated by law dimension. At napa i fit my 4 door jeep, tear drop trailer, my buddies car, and my other friends 6 person tent. Plus room to sit and cook.