Community Build F/A-18 Super Hornet 2B the FT-18 when completed

dgrigor02

I did try 6X3 earlier today. No appreciatable difference. Still not as vertical as I had hoped. At 80% its going to need something bigger then 1804. May give a 70% a try. Before I trash it, will probably throw a 2204 in it as I know that will to the trick.

HilldaFlyer

Hatch Latch - Toothpicks

How are folks holding down the battery hatch? Magnets?

Great question. I should have included that in the build... but I overlooked it. I have used magnets, like on the big F-18. But for this little one I just use toothpicks. I implemented this little trick with the FT-22. It works pretty well, as long as you remember there are toothpicks there. On a couple of my planes I forgot and ripped the hatch open which just pulls the toothpicks through the foam.

If you look closely, you can see little round balls on either side of the hatch. This is the end of a broken off toothpick, the ball is a dab of hot glue.
1ljiWXYR0yeU25jXfqa9OmtGMpEqSz7o4Wjrte618j1VpKJIlLi8xKXfyNySUzjcap1C877LjNODEmIVMaAUKTB5iWrA2pM0NMyk9XLTaFudzC1uNGl60y870SYMpqa7XMpQ8oJT

Here is another pic of the toothpicks pulled out almost all the way.

psM4Syv6iDRhOftw_MI7SNnyOcI3j-cwNQlC_AKDOXVdJcJHwHqZBrPOBbbQ2no9LVYkyj8zu8KJpOa2fFxhWub9XOkSgJK3x4UL7plElSwM1lZlOn1UNkMeA1B-PQZt_HO74ash

I've added a little strength to the inside of the hatch because the paper peeled. This is 1/16 balsa piece added.

e3w-BLU5QQnMspDeji-YukKkEdVcd4L5RQy8rLd0K2HQHzMrDa13bAB07frjOT82hS0PzkUd1gOnII__DmhTgS1KVSIOZpleC6rTfcfIKoCsCY2vW4HRx2kY6VZ--WQZQkxLtxGS

The method requires that you poke the toothpick into the edge of the foam. You can glue another piece of foam where the balsa is to give you a thicker target.

Hope that helps, and good luck - HilldaFlyer

dgrigor02

I swapped mine over from elevon config to elevator and single aileron ( like a pylon racer ). Gives much better roll rate and overall I like the maneuverability better. First time just trying a single aileron instead of each wing and I have it still behaves just fine with left and right turns or rolls. Nice to keep it down to just 2 servos like elevon config.

The 80% with 1804 is still a bit underpowered so I'll rebuilt another 70% sized plane to try the 1804 with. I made the aileron a bit thinner ( 3/4" ) and could use a bit more surface area but still flys great as-as.

attachment.php

Are the plans available for the V3 build of this plane. I looked through this forum and i didn't see anywhere that the plans can be downloaded from. Please let me know if I missed something.

Chris

HilldaFlyer

I maiden the 80% ( 21" wingspan, length 29" ) with 1804 motor, 3s 500mah, 5X4 prop. Total flying weight was 195grams. I was hoping mini power pod would fit but not quite so I glued it in. Seemed fast enough going straight but just not quite enough thrust, barely had some vertical and rolls weren't near as tight as I wanted. Will adjust to the outer most hole on servo and see if I can get more throw and will do a 6X3 prop and see it that gets me a little more thrust. If not will have to build at 70% and see if can get to perform with my existing 1804. I have a 2204 motor that would have no trouble with vertical but really want to try to make 1804 work.

I did manage to hit a tree on the second battery, luckily didn't get stuck just a crumpled nose and few bites out of the wing.

No decorations still just foam board until it flys well enough. Easy enough to build likely will wait until next one to add color.

Pictures with the 6X3 already installed. Just the right length slot for it.

That looks great. I'm going bigger!

HilldaFlyer

All of your builds look great! You should see what I have cooking now. Scaled this baby up 150%.

KcDb89gDdz9b-shOQPnSCTxfSv-4-_nWXAuWdeZcS2W9C2EoujiukkvRHoY8Rnj-0dnZKtSyL-Prag8pyDtjRDwaqHNv0qiHv7CKrrXCjctJ_wQkBMSQAnB8NiOtZOWkwgFw--DX

rs6aQM5G-R3abVHmqXCSCE4wY4MnqGlIvGsXSuU3F2-nXIwl-amD_OgEcQhqRVtmgE0F6fmHPHv9wmT_oVWtsImEwgxQSbAMEnUcAzFrXvmm23nGQdBNYLMJkT3kf8k8yNy-owQr

I'm going to start another thread for this build... I hope it flies as good as the small one.

HilldaFlyer

Are the plans available for the V3 build of this plane. I looked through this forum and i didn't see anywhere that the plans can be downloaded from. Please let me know if I missed something.

Chris

Hi Chris,
The plans for the all versions are the same. The difference from V1 to V2 is mainly going from 1400 kv to 2200 kv motor and larger battery. V3 is same as v2 with a carbon fiber spar in the wing to stiffen it up.
Let's see your build!
David

HilldaFlyer

I swapped mine over from elevon config to elevator and single aileron ( like a pylon racer ). Gives much better roll rate and overall I like the maneuverability better. First time just trying a single aileron instead of each wing and I have it still behaves just fine with left and right turns or rolls. Nice to keep it down to just 2 servos like elevon config.

The 80% with 1804 is still a bit underpowered so I'll rebuilt another 70% sized plane to try the 1804 with. I made the aileron a bit thinner ( 3/4" ) and could use a bit more surface area but still flys great as-as.

Interesting... I like it! I've never considered having only one aileron. Great mod!

Looking great! The fuselage (specifically the area between the intakes and the canopy) looks very stretched in the photograph. Is it just perspective playing tricks or has this been done for some reason? Thanks,

Sky Pirate

HilldaFlyer

Looking great! The fuselage (specifically the area between the intakes and the canopy) looks very stretched in the photograph. Is it just perspective playing tricks or has this been done for some reason? Thanks,

Sky Pirate

Yeah, it looks stretched... but it is pretty much scale. I have to use a wide angle to get it all in the photo.
David

HilldaFlyer

Ha ha, I just noticed that there are 4 pages :) Loving the 150% version, would love to build one as soon as plans and a build log are available. Nice work!

Sky Pirate

I've written the article and I have a few things pictures to add and I have to see if it actually flies. Too cold to paint (outside) so it may be a while. In the mean time, I will start another thread for it and provide the plans. Then people can build if they want or wait for the polished article with a maiden flight.
-David

HilldaFlyer

Plans for FliteFest 2016

I'm planning on going to FliteFest 2016. I also considered bringing some copies of the plans to hand out so people could build this fun little plane in the build tent. Takes about 2 hours...

I wonder how much effort it would be for FT to create a kit to avoid the 1 hour cutting out? This would be a really great speed build kit.

Thoughts????

T-Richard

I am about to maiden a 75% version with a 2204 and 1000 3 cell.... Not sure where the cg should be so all in all should be interesting