Complete newbie here, need some help, tips, and advice please.

Flite Risk

I love your enthusiasm. In fact i never "flew" (crashed beyond repair(all 2&4 second flights)) the first 3 FT planes I built. I believe it is because i too made them experimental too so i completely relate to you.

Oh make your Expo like 45% and remember to lightly bump the sticks.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Dang, Tx. That does suck. It *almost* flew.

OK. What do we know? Your first plane crashed in the exact same manner. On this one, you verified that the servos were correct and it still crashed the same way the first did.

Here's my idea: Upload a video of your current servo setup so it can be re-verified. To me, it really looked like the same crash with a different plane.

Once that's verified, you know that little quad you were tacking onto the first plane? Maybe if you rig something up so that it can record what you're doing with the controls at any given time (just hang it around your neck or something), some of the experienced people here can figure out what's going on. It's just an idea, but it might be worth pursuing.

Keep at it, man! Your determination is obvious and I've got confidence in you because of it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This is an "OH, Shoot!" moment. It just randomly popped up after the vid I linked above. Look at the wreck that Alex flies. My TT should absolutely SOAR! The damage to YOUR plane? What damage? We are lacking in skill and experience, but the planes? Dude, look at what Alex is flying!

Txwarthog

Thanks everyone, I wanted to post without my comments. My thoughts are even with the large battery it was still tail heavy. One servo broke and I can not say when. I know the first flight was solid, good power. It was just uncontrollable. Seems like many of us are learning. I'll pick up a scale to weigh front, middle and rear for reference. I think it'll be interesting to find out. Stay tuned.,.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
From the videos it looks to me like the plane was not flying fast enough to remain aloft. When you add weight, (the larger battery), you MUST launch it at higher speed or it will just stagger through the air on prop wash alone until it rolls over due to "P" factor or motor torque and heads into the ground.

Build it lighter if possible or even consider making the tail members a little smaller, (and lighter), and bring the servos as far forward as is possible.

Just my thoughts!

have fun!

Txwarthog

Anyone know a free or less than 50$ good video editor program? I will check my repairs and make a video of it here in a little while. Something to me seems kind of off with the controls. It doesn't seem I'm getting enough response in some positions.

Last edited:

Tjhochha

It looks like your trim is way off and it does look a little low on throw. It looks like you have a bunch of down elevator, did you make sure to center your servos when you installed them? It’s a fairly easy fix, pop the servos off, either with a razor or denatured alcohol will break the bond. The reattach them and make sure to have them centered or even have the radio and plane on with the servos plugged in. Make sure your trim adjustments are centered also. When you reattach them make sure the control surfaces are perfectly flat and even with the tail surfaces. As for your throw, I’m not sure if that radio is programmable my radio is older than I am. It might just be on a low throw beginner setting.

mayan

Legendary member
I have that problem to from crash to crash. When it happens to me most times the servo link to the fuselage is usually weak making the servo move a bit when I move the sticks which makes the movement not noticeable in other words not to work properly. What I do is remove the servo and reattach it. This solves the problem for me.

Tjhochha

Another thing to watch is the paper on the hinge looks like it might have separated from the foam. That would cause control issues as well. Also make sure the servo rods aren't buckling too much. If the rods are changing from a slight curve to more of a C or S shape, then that is reducing your throw, and will be even worse in the air with wind loading on it.

Chappie66

I also think your throws are correct, but it is really hard to tell. Your moving the sick's too fast, for me anyway. I'd like to see a video, from the back of the plane where you push the sticks to right, left, up & down, then hold it for a second or two before you move tot he next position. Give us a moment to see what is going on. Doing circles with the stick is not much help.

Here is what you should see. From the back of the plane looking forward, pulling back on the stick (giving it up) both should go up. Pushing forward (giving it down) both should go down. Left stick, both should go left (left one down, right one up). Right stick, both should go right (left one up, right one down)
Sorry for chiming in late, but from the look on the GIF, when the right stick is moved left should not the left elevon go up and the right elevon go down. Same as an aileron input to make the plane roll to the left (turn)? And the reverse of this for right turn?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Much better job of slowing down moving the sticks. Thanks. Just one more thing to help us help you. Give right & left with no elevator. When you put the sticks in the corner, that is not helpful. Two inputs at the same time. It looks like you have plenty of elevator throw. Hard to tell how much rudder throw you have, you may not have enough.

I still say you have a twist in your wing. It’s hard to avoid a twist, I’ve not built a straight one yet. Most of the time you can overcome the twist with trim. Some wings have more twists than others, sometimes too much to trim out.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for chiming in late, but from the look on the GIF, when the right stick is moved left should not the left elevon go up and the right elevon go down. Same as an aileron input to make the plane roll to the left (turn)? And the reverse of this for right turn?

I don't believe the tail feathers on a V tail act like ailerons, they act as a rudder. One way to find out, try reversing them.

Chappie66

I don't believe the tail feathers on a V tail act like ailerons, they act as a rudder. One way to find out, try reversing them.
That makes sense if it is replacing rudder. Thanks v-tail.gif

d8veh

Elite member
Something is wrong with the setup. When your stick is neutral, both elevons are down. You need to fix it so that they are neutral. Throughout your sequence of moving the stick, there's nearly always elevons a long way down, but you hardly see any fully up. Even when you pull the stick right back, they're hardly lifting. As a general rule, up movement of the elevator is always better than doen, so you should never be able to get more down than up.

Second problem is the paper separating from the foam on the hinges. Wipe some more glue on the paper in those positions and glue it back down.

Immediately before every launch, you should check that all control surfaces move like they're supposed to - distance and direction.

Andrew

G'day Mate
I believe Chappie has hit the nail on the head, the video above shows the elevons going the wrong way.
When the model takes off its nice and smooth until you start to correct it. Doesn't look like a stall to me, just incorrect servo settings and trim. Also for a elevon model the throws look ok , if you need more throw you will have to do it on the control horn.