Complete newbie here, need some help, tips, and advice please.

Txwarthog

Thank you everyone! I will work on it in a few, and make a new video before I take it out again this afternoon.
Please check my work, I'm not real happy with the repair on the tail, but I'm not sure how to do better.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thank you everyone! I will work on it in a few, and make a new video before I take it out again this afternoon.
Please check my work, I'm not real happy with the repair on the tail, but I'm not sure how to do better.

Good job on the video. Perfect.

I contend your rudder is now reversed. Others disagree, so go try it as it is. Make sure you have plenty of room. If the plane fly’s, great, if the turn gets worse, reverse the rudder.

I think you will need to adjust you pushrods to start with more right rudder to overpower the twist in you wing. You’ll need to adjust both sides the same amount. Don’t try to just eyeball it. Take a piece of scrap foam and make and make a throw gauge. Use the gauge to set both sides the same.

Don’t give up now your in the final stretch. To quote the great Canadian philosopher Red Green “We are all in this together and I’m pulling for you”

Txwarthog

Here it is before I go fly it. It seems I have little control over the throw. It kind of is what it is. I'll order another tiny trainer and use what I've learned to do better. It seems tail heavy to me.

d8veh

Elite member
Here it is before I go fly it. It seems I have little control over the throw. It kind of is what it is. I'll order another tiny trainer and use what I've learned to do better. It seems tail heavy to me.

I would say that the rudder is reversed. I've not flown one like that, so I'm not sure, but it's easy to test: If it dives to the right when you push the stick left, you need to change it.

If it does go the wrong way, cut the throttle immediately and let go of the stick because last time it seemed to fly OK when you didn't do anything.

Txwarthog

I'll take some kite string and test it out over a goal post. At least that way my flying day will be longer that 5 mins... lol

Wait I might can test it out now. Standby.

Wow I did find this very helpful believe it or not. I changed some controller settings, and it seemed to improve control. I'm going to play around with it some more. I will post a pic of my finial settings when I'm happy, but this looks good to me. TURN DOWN YOUR SOUND

Last edited:

Txwarthog

I would say that the rudder is reversed. I've not flown one like that, so I'm not sure, but it's easy to test: If it dives to the right when you push the stick left, you need to change it.

If it does go the wrong way, cut the throttle immediately and let go of the stick because last time it seemed to fly OK when you didn't do anything.

You where right, I did reverse my rudder in the last video. I changed a couple of other settings as well.

d8veh

Elite member
What a brilliant test. While you were doing that, i checked out JB's build video. At 52:01, you can definitely see that when he pushes the stick right, the right hand elevon goes down and the left goes up (plane viewed from behind).

Txwarthog

I think my goal today will be to get it about 20 feet up in the air and get it to fly straight a hand full of times before I try any turns. We will see how it goes. I'm about as ready as I'm going to get...… Winds are at 14mph …. I might hold off on trying to fly today.

Doing a little for house keeping. Anyone know why my the T connector on my charger is male and the battery connector is male? The ends seem to be backwards also. I'm just going by the color of wires. This kind of stuff kinda scares me.

Thinking about it this is a super bad idea... Plan B

Attachments

• P_20181020_140441.jpg
    P_20181020_140441.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Txwarthog

So I got a scale today, anyone want to guess the weight? For me this will be one of the most interesting things.

1 oz gold coin checks out.

The plane is with the 850mAh

Attachments

• P_20181020_182535.jpg
    P_20181020_182535.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20181020_183223.jpg
    P_20181020_183223.jpg
  • P_20181020_183240.jpg
    P_20181020_183240.jpg
  • P_20181020_183013.jpg
    P_20181020_183013.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ziddan

How long does moderator approval for a post in an existing thread take? I wrote a post on wednesday and its still not up.

Txwarthog

Well I have good news and bad news and more bad news. I took the plane out this morning. I finally did get it to fly OK (it took some hard crashes), bad news, my camera didn't record it. This is a video of one of my first flights. Once I added more weight to the nose it did OK. Here is a video and aftermath. Looks like I can repair it, and add weight to the nose. I can add a really lame video of me doing the walk of shame....lol

Attachments

• P_20181021_130028.jpg
    P_20181021_130028.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20181021_130038.jpg
    P_20181021_130038.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
May not have been an awesome flight, but you're in the air! I really feel like you're getting close to figuring this out.

Txwarthog... I, as an Unofficial Official "Junior Birdman" anoint you with the title, "Try-Try Again Award of the Week!" Dude, I can't wait to start having the... Nutters to post my first crash/flight videos. And you have great big... "Nuts... Hot Nuts, you get'em from the Peanut Man" for picking a V-tail. I believe I shall be a year or so before I get into that. As my Buds from the AU would say, "Good on ya, mate!"

Chappie66

I think my goal today will be to get it about 20 feet up in the air and get it to fly straight a hand full of times before I try any turns. We will see how it goes. I'm about as ready as I'm going to get...… Winds are at 14mph …. I might hold off on trying to fly today.

Doing a little for house keeping. Anyone know why my the T connector on my charger is male and the battery connector is male? The ends seem to be backwards also. I'm just going by the color of wires. This kind of stuff kinda scares me.

Thinking about it this is a super bad idea... Plan B
1. Battery connections are female. Therein the charging connector should be male. If your battery has a male connector, likely it has been changed. Is the Female XT connector slightly in the background that is running across a Deans, Tamiya, EC2/EC3, JST connector, your battery connector?
2. The white connector that is in the forefront of your picture is a Tamiya connector. Looks to be male.
3. What gauge wire is being soldered into the XT connector in the foreground?

Txwarthog

1. Battery connections are female. Therein the charging connector should be male. If your battery has a male connector, likely it has been changed. Is the Female XT connector slightly in the background that is running across a Deans, Tamiya, EC2/EC3, JST connector, your battery connector?
2. The white connector that is in the forefront of your picture is a Tamiya connector. Looks to be male.
3. What gauge wire is being soldered into the XT connector in the foreground?
I abandoned making a connector. I had 2 open leads and soldered a female connection to it. Seems to be working great.