Complete noob, building electrohub quad

leeson97

Hello! I'm building a Quadcopter for a project in School. I know basically nothing about quadcopters and I need some help picking parts. To get started with my project, I purchased an Electrohub frame, but I'm to afraid to mess up to buy any more parts. Anyway, I've made a little list of parts that I think maybe might be almost right for my quad, but I have no idea if the parts I'm picking are totally wrong or if I'm putting together an okay shopping list.

I would like to spend as little as possible for an okay quad that I can put a goPro on in the future. My list doesn't contain a radio or propellers, so if you have any recommendations, please share!

Here's the link to my list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BxDRL3v_cKJ7bSu7khx4DxkLN7uKR0-UuJv4QULkPwg/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for taking your time reading and helping out! :)

Last edited:

jipp

welcome to the forum.. i cant get the spread sheet to work for me.. mind just listing the parts you are thinking of here.. im sure others will be more helpful if they do not have to leave the forum..

chris.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Have you decided on a prop size / pitch yet?

I haven't used the products myself, but the mere technical info look ok.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Its the little things that will get you. Don't forget a male XT60 for to connect the battery, and some wire to connect that to the power distribution in the Electrohub. Also get some bullet connectors, either 2mm or 3.5mm because the ones that come with the motor and ESC you have listed don't match (unless you don't want bullet connectors at all). You may also want heatshrink, a battery strap for your battery, some nylon standoffs and screws to mount the flight controller, and some male to male servo leads to connect the Naze and your receiver.

leeson97

Its the little things that will get you. Don't forget a male XT60 for to connect the battery, and some wire to connect that to the power distribution in the Electrohub. Also get some bullet connectors, either 2mm or 3.5mm because the ones that come with the motor and ESC you have listed don't match (unless you don't want bullet connectors at all). You may also want heatshrink, a battery strap for your battery, some nylon standoffs and screws to mount the flight controller, and some male to male servo leads to connect the Naze and your receiver.

Thank you for the helpful reply! I did not think about getting a connector for the battery or a mounting solution for the FC, so those thing will definitely be added to the list! As for the bullet connectors, I was planning on skipping them as soldering directly seems to be recommended by the flitetest people in their electrohub build video. I think that a battery strap is included with the electrohub so I won't have to worry about that.
Getting heatshrink from a local store won't be a problem so I plan on doing that.

Once again, thank you for replying :eek:

jipp

sam you made me double check my project thinking i soldered on the wrong XT60 end. i think you meant female? ( but i guess they do come in pairs.. never mind.. )

chris.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
sam you made me double check my project thinking i soldered on the wrong XT60 end. i think you meant female? ( but i guess they do come in pairs.. never mind.. )

chris.

The female socket goes on the battery. The male pins go on the thing you plug into the battery, generally the ESC. It is normal to describe connectors by their electrical connection, not the way the sheathing works since generally you don't care about that. You always want the electrical socket to be on the power supply end to minimize the possibility of shorts and the pins to be on the thing that consumes the power.

Unfortunately it seems that JST RCY connectors (the small red ones) typically at least in the RC world get described the wrong way giving sexes to the sheathing and not the electrical connection. If you look on the HK site they describe XT60s the "correct" way and JST RCY connectors the "wrong" way. All very confusing but it seems to be consistent with the way that JST RCYs are described elsewhere. The original JST spec sheet just refers to them as pins and sockets and doesn't use male and female so I guess someone got confused somewhere along the way and now we are stuck with their confusion.

jipp

The female socket goes on the battery. The male pins go on the thing you plug into the battery, generally the ESC. It is normal to describe connectors by their electrical connection, not the way the sheathing works since generally you don't care about that. You always want the electrical socket to be on the power supply end to minimize the possibility of shorts and the pins to be on the thing that consumes the power.

Unfortunately it seems that JST RCY connectors (the small red ones) typically at least in the RC world get described the wrong way giving sexes to the sheathing and not the electrical connection. If you look on the HK site they describe XT60s the "correct" way and JST RCY connectors the "wrong" way. All very confusing but it seems to be consistent with the way that JST RCYs are described elsewhere. The original JST spec sheet just refers to them as pins and sockets and doesn't use male and female so I guess someone got confused somewhere along the way and now we are stuck with their confusion.

thank you. yeah confused me. :( but I can see how the mix up happen. since in other things you do go by the connection or the sheath not the pins. or at least thats how iv always thought of things. maybe iv been looking at everything wrong all these years. LOL.. hangs head in shame.

chris.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
thank you. yeah confused me. :( but I can see how the mix up happen. since in other things you do go by the connection or the sheath not the pins.
chris.

Yeah I know its confusing :p. I wanted to say to get some XT60s that are opposite of the battery, but I went with male to be more specific and help with actually looking up the right product.