Concept 60 Gas Helicopter

L Edge

Master member
I've already him look it over after I did the repairs and it checked out. He also gave me a ton of parts for it! I have a good feeling that this heli will be a piece of cake to fly.

The 2 tough ones to learn are the invert and the auto where you needed to land on the pad for your score. In those days, the only gyro was a mechanical one for the tail. In order to fly inverted in the old days, you need to flip a switch at the top of a roll or a loop.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
After finishing my edge, I got this thing out and started tearing apart it's fuel tank because it was full of crap. It took a good half hour of soaking in break clean to get it all out. I also found out that the sludge was parts of the fuel plug and that it was totally shot. I had a few glow fuel tank kits so I didn't think it would be a problem but I was wrong! The plug was a one off plug so I had to do some modifying to make the new one fit. Im looking for the right one to replace my improvised one so don't worry! I replaced all the fuel line, filters, clunk etc. So I shouldn't have any problems with that system. All in all the maiden flight will probably be either tomorrow or Saturday so I'm hoping it'll be a successful one!
IMG_20210504_220207179.jpg
IMG_20210504_220141855.jpg
IMG_20210504_220333291.jpg
IMG_20210504_220503252_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210504_220338024.jpg
IMG_20210505_000142011.jpg

L Edge

Master member
See you are using old analog servo(JR 4131). Don't forget to check if your gyro has(needs) a high speed digital servo.

When you get a chance, change to digital servos, it will improve your skills much quicker, especially if you are going acrobatic.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
See you are using old analog servo(JR 4131). Don't forget to check if your gyro has(needs) a high speed digital servo.

When you get a chance, change to digital servos, it will improve your skills much quicker, especially if you are going acrobatic.
Already ahead of ya! The gyro is set up for analog and with the way I fly, I have no need for digital so its not worth the cost. Loops, roles and split-ses are all I ever do.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Did you fly it yet?
Nope, I was going to fly it last Wednesday so the night before I went to charge up the flight pack and the life battery was at .35v. Needless to say it's ruined. I put in an order for a NiMH pack so it's ground for the next week.

Piotrsko

Master member
Sims don't do justice for heli's. Once you loose the kinetic energy generated by the blades going down, (you went + blade angle to far up and early) gravity and boom strikes will be the result.
That never happened in my sims, it just pancaked and exploded.

L Edge

Master member
That never happened in my sims, it just pancaked and exploded.

Worst explosion we ever had was a brand new 60 size chopper with wooden blades (before composite blades) that had about 1 hr of flight time and it was the first time to go into acrobatic mode (2600rpm) and when my son went into mode 2, we heard a terrific wop and it was like a sim crash.
One wooden blade stressed, left the blade holder and hit the other blade, we see the battery go flying out thru the canopy, and all hell broke out. Throttle is stuck at 2600 ,main shaft is bent and the other wooden broken blade is beating itself and frame to death. Then the main gear strips and the motor goes into overdrive speed and destroys itself internally. After it stop flopping around, nothing was salvaged, including servos, electronics, tuned pipe, Rx and tail gyro. Quite expensive flight.

Piotrsko

Master member
Joke: kinda makes you miss the old days. The modern stuff just doesn't self destruct like that.

Even worse, that crash would have gone through 6 months income for me at the time.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
It flys! Just going to replace the gyro because it's a HobbyKing and I have no trust in it. In doing so I'll have to replace the tail servo because the only tail rotor gyro I can get (gy440) only does digital.
IMG_20210831_211625.jpg

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
So @L Edge I finally got this thing going, and it flys really well. I haven't sent up my idle up one or two yet so this flight was in normal mode. It's a bit on the sluggish side but the guy I got it from has a few tricks to get it responding. This'll probably be my main flyer for the next month or two. It's just a ton of fun!

L Edge

Master member
So @L Edge I finally got this thing going, and it flys really well. I haven't sent up my idle up one or two yet so this flight was in normal mode. It's a bit on the sluggish side but the guy I got it from has a few tricks to get it responding. This'll probably be my main flyer for the next month or two. It's just a ton of fun!

Right on. It is really nice to have someone fill you in on how to tune it. Absorb as much info as you can, makes it much more fun when not hindered by mechanical problems.