Concept for Thrust Vectoring of Prop Driven Airplanes

L Edge

Master member
One of the first electric helis was the Shogun. After it's time, I was left with a heli that just aged in the cellar.

Along came thrust vectoring and decided to modify the swashplate and install the motor/prop on the collective plate for additional elevator and rudder control.
The unit was light and mounted it behind the tail where I used two servos . The result was fantastic in the extra ability to do a lot tighter acrobatic manuavers.

The point I am trying to bring out is there is no need to design, just modify the collective and you have your 2 axis thrust vectoring system.

Rules to remember:
1) Mount system with metal gear servos to prevent stripping.
2) Put your system on a switch or mode in order to shut off and turn on the Thrust Vectoring.(TV)
3) First time, set the elevator TV deflection equal to to the regular elevator deflection.
4) For rudder, set the TV deflection to 1/2 of the normal rudder movement.
5) To fine tune it, reduce your absolute travel(end points) and then increase its throws to the servos connected to the swashplate until you are happy.
6) Start off by holding the plane vertical and then turn on the TV system. Add power, If the nose go forward or aft, adjust the subtrim or trim
for elevator so it is vertical. Then do the same with rudder so when you turn on/off TV system, it remains vertical. Then go fly it with system off and then try it on. Oh yes, drink 4 cups of coffee so you can keep up with it on.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
That looks like a solid, straight-forward way to do it. I don't know much about thrust vectoring, but there was a newer member very interested in it recently, along the lines of building an SU-27 or SU-33 with thrust vectoring in order to do high alpha aerobatics. I think I'll link this for him.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey - that looks really fun. Sure would make for some crazy aerobatics! If you get a chance, I’d love to see some video of it flying.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
One of the first electric helis was the Shogun. After it's time, I was left with a heli that just aged in the cellar.

Along came thrust vectoring and decided to modify the swashplate and install the motor/prop on the collective plate for additional elevator and rudder control.
The unit was light and mounted it behind the tail where I used two servos . The result was fantastic in the extra ability to do a lot tighter acrobatic manuavers.

The point I am trying to bring out is there is no need to design, just modify the collective and you have your 2 axis thrust vectoring system.

Rules to remember:
1) Mount system with metal gear servos to prevent stripping.
2) Put your system on a switch or mode in order to shut off and turn on the Thrust Vectoring.(TV)
3) First time, set the elevator TV deflection equal to to the regular elevator deflection.
4) For rudder, set the TV deflection to 1/2 of the normal rudder movement.
5) To fine tune it, reduce your absolute travel(end points) and then increase its throws to the servos connected to the swashplate until you are happy.
6) Start off by holding the plane vertical and then turn on the TV system. Add power, If the nose go forward or aft, adjust the subtrim or trim
for elevator so it is vertical. Then do the same with rudder so when you turn on/off TV system, it remains vertical. Then go fly it with system off and then try it on. Oh yes, drink 4 cups of coffee so you can keep up with it on.

Cool, I have built some with some degree of success but using the collective plate off of a heli is genius .