Conflicting info / foreigner flying in Canada

outthayr

Anyone make sense of this? :unsure:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/get-drone-pilot-certificate/exam.html
"All pilots of drones or “Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS)” with a maximum takeoff weight of 250 grams up to and including 25 kilograms must pass an online exam."

"Foreign residents are not eligible to register or operate a drone in Canada. If you are a foreign resident and wish to operate a drone in Canada, you must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate."

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/get-permission-fly-drone-outside-rules.html
"You are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or a corporation incorporated by or under the laws of Canada or a province"

You do not need this certificate if:
  • your drone weighs under 25 kg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Actually it just means that you need to pass a test if your plane weighs between 250 grams and 25 kilograms. I’m not sure what happens above that.

outthayr

Where are you from, and what/where are you planning to fly?
From USA with 415g quad.

Just came across this: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/register-drone.html "You must be registered to fly your drone after June 1, 2019."
(Following this leads to the same page stating: "*Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada? No.
Foreign residents are not eligible to register or operate a drone in Canada. If you are a foreign resident and wish to operate a drone in Canada, you must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate."

As posted above, following steps to get SFOC states: "You do not need this certificate if: your drone weighs under 25 kg."

I'm currently up to FAA standards in the US:
  1. Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number (PDF), and carry proof of registration with you."
  2. Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

Last edited:

outthayr

I posted this question to 'Civil Aviation Services' general mailbox, I'll see what they say.

I believe with my documents and knowledge I would be totally fine flying responsibly while in Canada, I just wanted to follow any rules they may have here. Following said rules turns out to be a little confusing...

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
It looks like you'll need to do a SFOC to be fully legal, which will probably also require that you do the online exam. If you are in the AMA, I believe you can get in the MAAC exemption as we have a reciprocal agreement, but yeah, it's all confusing right now.

outthayr

It looks like you'll need to do a SFOC to be fully legal, which will probably also require that you do the online exam.

SFOC states: "You do not need this certificate if: your drone weighs under 25 kg."
Online exam states: "Foreign residents are not eligible to register or operate a drone in Canada. If you are a foreign resident and wish to operate a drone in Canada, you must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate."

It's an endless loop! Twilight Zone!

Thanks for the info on Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC), I'll see what they have in their resources.

Wildthing

Legendary member
If you are a member of MAAC and of a sanctioned flight club you can fly at the club or any club without any of that crap, you are not legally allowed to just fly anywhere you want to.

outthayr

you are not legally allowed to just fly anywhere you want to.

You CAN legally fly anywhere you want to... just so long as rules are followed. But yes, I know what you mean.

Drone pilots must carry a valid drone pilot certificate and only fly drones that are marked and registered.
  • You must fly below 90 meters (295 feet) above the ground.
  • You must fly at least 30 meters (98 feet) away from vehicles, vessels and the public if your drone weighs over 250 grams (.55 pounds) and up to 1 kilograms).
  • You must fly at least 76 meters (250 feet) away from vehicles, vessels, and the public.
  • You must fly at least 5.6 kilometers (3.5 miles) away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land).
  • You must fly at least 1.9 kilometers (1.2 miles) away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only.
  • You must fly outside of controlled or restricted airspace.
  • You must fly at least 9 kilometers (5.5 miles) away from a natural hazard or disaster area.
  • You must fly away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders.
  • You must fly during the day and not in clouds.
  • You must keep your drone within your sight at all times while flying.
  • You must fly within 500 meters (1,640 feet) of yourself.
  • You may only fly your drone if it is clearly marked with your name, address, and telephone number.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/FullText.html#s-900.01

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 4.33.07 PM.png

Wildthing

Legendary member
All I know is I can fly any size of plane or quad at the club with a max height limit as long as I am a member of MAAC and the club, the club will not allow you to fly if you are not members of both.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
SFOC states: "You do not need this certificate if: your drone weighs under 25 kg."
Online exam states: "Foreign residents are not eligible to register or operate a drone in Canada. If you are a foreign resident and wish to operate a drone in Canada, you must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate."

It's an endless loop! Twilight Zone!

I think the under 25kg bit is just for citizens/permanent residents. Unless you're doing extremely stupid stuff or actually cause damage or harm to property or people nobody is going to do or say anything.

outthayr

"
As a Foreign Operator or Pilot, you must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) to operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) in Canada. You must:

1. Complete Form 26-0835E, available at this link: http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/26-0835_BO_PX ;
  2. Provide all of the required information listed in the attached Checklist as supporting documentation, indicating the page number where the information can be found; and,
  3. E-mail the completed form, supporting documentation, and checklist to TC.RPASCentre-CentreSATP.TC@tc.gc.ca , and include the text “SFOC Application – Foreign Operator/Pilot” in the subject line.

The pilot operating the RPAS may be required to provide proof of Transport Canada TP-15263 (https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/publications/tp-15263.html) completion of training from a self-declared training provider. A number of providers offer online training that will be convenient to complete prior to arriving in Canada. A list of self-declared school can be found at this link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi...lot-certificate/find-drone-flight-school.html

If you intend to conduct operations under the Canadian Aviation Regulations Part IX, Sub-Part I, Division V – Advanced Operations, a Flight Review must be conducted on all pilots prior to exercising the privileges of the SFOC. As it will be difficult to complete a Flight Review prior to coming to Canada, and SFOC processing times are up to 30 working days, the SFOC will be issued without proof of a Flight Review being conducted. However, one of the conditions of the SFOC will be “Proof of completion of a Flight Review conducted by a Flight Reviewer authorized by the Minister.”

Please note that once an SFOC is issued, it will be the responsibility of the Applicant to ensure all conditions of the SFOC are complied with. Failure to comply with any condition of the SFOC may result in fines of up to $1000.00 for an individual or $5000.00 for a corporation.

Processing times for SFOC applications are up to 30 working days. Incomplete applications or missing information will result in delays and be the responsibility of the Applicant.

Kindest regards,

Agent d’information

Centre d’expertise SATP

Transports Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

Information Agent

RPAS Center of Expertise
Transport Canada | Government of Canada

"

jross

It looks like you'll need to do a SFOC to be fully legal, which will probably also require that you do the online exam. If you are in the AMA, I believe you can get in the MAAC exemption as we have a reciprocal agreement, but yeah, it's all confusing right now.
I think the AMA/MAAC angle is best.

Check out their reciprocity agreement. From 2013 before regs changed in Canada but still binding.

https://www.maac.ca/en/docs/maacama_agreement_of_understanding_2013.pdf

jross

With the link above this is the best I can do to make life simple for you, @outthayr, after an hour of digging around and my familiarity with regulations and MAAC in Canada. I've always felt our common border should be almost invisible. Looks like in terms of flying here, if you do the right thing, the border is less of a barrier coming north. Hope this helps.

Here's a copy of the Transport Canada exemption for MAAC signed by an agent of Transport Canada. Doesn't address the AMA/MAAC reciprocity agreement. Only refers to MAAC members in good standing. Good news is if you're a member of the association in your country, you can join the association in the other country. So if you're in the US and an AMA member, you could join MAAC thus eliminating any issue with wording in the exemption. The exemption makes no reference to nationality, only MAAC membership. Join MAAC, print out their safety documents, the reciprocity agreement, (proving you can be a member of MAAC as a foreign national) the MAAC exemption, proof of MAAC and AMA membership and you should be golden. If you want to go overboard, print out the Transport Canada RPAS regulations.

https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=499

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
I meant for someone visiting. I am so sorry for you guys who have invested in our hobby only to be outlawed by legislative stupidity.

jross

The way our country is going. One used to be able to drive a motorboat without a license too. Licenses didn't improve safety one bit. They gave enforcement a reason to fine you.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The way our country is going. One used to be able to drive a motorboat without a license too. Licenses didn't improve safety one bit. They gave enforcement a reason to fine you.

License fees, fines and a convenient excuse to stop you... Have you checked out the new impaired driving laws? Police are now allowed to demand a breathalyzer up to 2 hours after you stopped driving... Absolute BS. Loving this government.

jross

And despite all the flying BS. Happy Canada Day! A great place to be. Taxes, snow, grizzly bears, expensive alcohol, yada, yada. But you or a loved one can suffer a severe health issue and not lose your home or business. I'm living proof. Should be dead and/or dead broke, 10 times over.

On this day, I send positive vibes to our American brothers and sisters. We know. It's a hard time. Be true to your heart. Solidify bridges with all your brothers and sisters, regardless of religion, ethnicity or anything that makes them different from you. If you don't have bridges like that, build them. Strong fabric isn't one thread. The most attractive fabric contains threads of different colours and textures woven together. Stand fast. Stand tall. Leave differences aside.

Ditto that to all my Canadian brothers and sisters. Not all peaches and cream here either.