Confused about batteries

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am confused what battery to use in my tiny trainer. There is so many different batteries out there. I have never flown before. I am trying to get ready for going to Edgewater on this up coming Thursday night to learn how to fly. I have the plane built. It needs to be checked out before trying to get it into the air. I know Josh talks about a 2 cell battery for the tiny trainer. What battery would be a good choice ? I don't think if I order a couple of batteries I would get them in time for this up coming Thursday.

Al

skymaster

Elite member
Well if you are going to edgewater than you could buy them there. im sure they have a store on site. just to make sure why not call edgewater and ask if they have a store or a few batteries. I use the 3s 850 mAh give's me about 10 to 15 minutes . good luck and have fun.

kdobson83

Hi Everyone,

I am confused what battery to use in my tiny trainer. There is so many different batteries out there. I have never flown before. I am trying to get ready for going to Edgewater on this up coming Thursday night to learn how to fly. I have the plane built. It needs to be checked out before trying to get it into the air. I know Josh talks about a 2 cell battery for the tiny trainer. What battery would be a good choice ? I don't think if I order a couple of batteries I would get them in time for this up coming Thursday.

Al
I personally would go with a 500-850mah 3s battery. Unless you plan on doing lots of small/slow flying. The 3s is used in a lot more planes and the extra power will come in handy on windy days or when you get better at flying and want the power.
And, just because you have 3s and lots of power doesn't mean you have to use it. But it's advantageous to have it there if you need it.
Just my 2 cents. Have fun at Edgewater.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The 'right' battery is a personal choice...

I learned with the TT on a 2S 850mAh with the polyhedral, glider wing, but now fly 3S 1300mAh with the sport wing and a more aggressive prop.

You might learn on 2S but progress under the tutelage of Josh and team to 3S by the time you leave. :)

I think more importantly (assuming they will sell batteries at Edgewater and have them in stock) you need a good balance charger that can keep you flying without having to wait hours for a new charge.

I'm with @skymaster on this one. Call ahead and if they can provide/sell the lipos, work with them to find the right power plant for you.

alan0043

It also looks like I need to have the correct connectors on the battery. I don't think the store is open yet. It would be nice to buy a battery or too right at Edgewater.