Confused by Flite Test’s direction

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I honestly struggle with the security argument...
  • Is "securing the airspace" something that is important?
    • yes
  • Does RID provide any security?
    • it doesn't prevent malicious flights
    • it doesn't prevent non-compliant flights
I would hope that there are people that the FAA have on their teams (or experts they have access to) that are at least as knowledgeable about these devices as I am [and I am sure there are plenty of people more knowledgeable then me out there], so if they really believe this creates security, that is __very__ worrying to me about the bureaucracy of the FAA.

The place were it appears to have value, would be to deal with mass BVLOS delivery drones as part of detect/avoid/flight path planning network [here is were having hobbist craft having RID on them is helpful, the mass drones can then "see" the hobby drone when they fly near by - but this doesn't require the pilot's position to be reported...]

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
  • it doesn't prevent malicious flights
  • it doesn't prevent non-compliant flights

It is called Lawfare. Have the means to turn law-abiding citizens instantly into felons... because you never know when the government might want to do that to targeted individuals, or whole swaths of us dirty masses.

Truth, Justice, and the American way left the building.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
It is called Lawfare. Have the means to turn law-abiding citizens instantly into felons... because you never know when the government might want to do that to targeted individuals, or whole swaths of us dirty masses.

Usually I'm happy to learn a new word. Not so much today.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

Not even a great solution for that... it isn't like the RC flying group is really big [at least on a over all scale of population] and I doubt there is any heavy overlap with some other 'belief' that might be disliked by some people in government....

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@JasonK I think you and I have strong opinions of the efficacy of the latest rule making or at least it's purpose, but lets try and bring it around to the topic...

I would love to see Flight Test taking a moment to discuss how they have worked with with local schools, and school boards to help them ensure that FRIAs are established at all educational facilities (at least middle school and older.) While it would be better baked in, it seems FRIAs are the way it has to be (for now) without costing the student lots of money.

alan0043

@JasonK I think you and I have strong opinions of the efficacy of the latest rule making or at least it's purpose, but lets try and bring it around to the topic...

I would love to see Flight Test taking a moment to discuss how they have worked with with local schools, and school boards to help them ensure that FRIAs are established at all educational facilities (at least middle school and older.) While it would be better baked in, it seems FRIAs are the way it has to be (for now) without costing the student lots of money.

(y):)

Taildragger

Legendary member

I fly almost daily at my high school

mastermalpass

Elite member
Bringing the conversation back to the topic, I too feel there is something no longer present at FliteTest which I consider was quite a key component.

I totally understand the need to keep things more commercial with the master series. To crank designs out at the rate they are will demand a lot of manhours. Took me a year and seven builds for me to get my only design released, so for these bigger, more complex builds, it makes sense for them to be SBK only. And hey, you still get to build them yourself this way, it's just more pricey - as are the power systems needed for them anyway.

What I think is missing, are the originals. The swappable series showed FliteTest designing many original airframes from the ground up which explored various flying styles and activity in the air. Some have been the ideal platform for certain content; usually a FT Kraken for heavy lifting and a FT Guinea Pig for drop missions (additionaly, @Wildthing used to fly 'Combat Wars' streamer-cutting games where the plane of choice for everyone was the Bloody Baron).

Of course, this does beg the question; do the swappables pretty much cover every mission there is? It is a very diverse line up and off the top of my head, I can't think of a mission I would ever do that an FT airframe couldn't. However, it's not like there isn't plenty of overlap in the capability of the various designs already and in amongst that, still a great variety in flying style and feel. I haven't flown the FT Spitfire or FT Mustang Swappables, but I bet they feel entirely different on the sticks.

So what do I think would be an awesome next move? A return to FliteTest originals, that incorporates the new capabilities developed in working with Overstreet. Remember when they showed us the FT Viggen and David Windestal had that hot-wire cut version that looked almost like a storebought? Well the simple replacement of some score-fold foamboard pieces with curved ones is already halfway towards the look of Windestal's version. FliteTest could hash out so many more awesome looking planes that don't have to be perfect replicas of real planes. They can produce simpler designs that are cheaper to develop and easier to access like the Swappables, but now have an updated look. :)

PS: Not to suggest I and others on the forum aren't already doing this ourselves, I just think FT are missing out.

tamuct01

It bothers me to see the number of comments regarding "where is the next XYZ plans?" To design, test, and publish a polished set of plans or a kit is a huge undertaking. Even some of the simplest planes that FT released took weeks of time and testing. I think it's unfair and disrespectful to demand free plans from the team. If you're out to build a plane, there are over 70 released plans from FT and hundreds more on this forum as well as RCgroups. A little Googleing is all it takes.

A bit on the testing aspect: I remember one podcast where Josh detailed the plight of the Shindin and why it was never released. TL;DR; it was a neat design, but very finicky and a slight change in CG made it unflyable. He didn't think that FT could release something that could easily turn into a rash of customer satisfaction issues.

I do miss the "old days" of bodging together foam and tape and making all sorts of random objects fly. I miss the VLOGs and the product reviews, but I look at the growth of the company and how they've still to their core values and reached so many people. How many of us would be satisfied with who we were 10 years ago? I applaud the FT team for trying new things, but never losing sight of who they are.