confused by FPV setups.

johanjonker

I'm getting headaches about all these FPV setups and options, and I'm sure I'm dropping planes out of stupidity..

All I want is one ground station and many more transmitters. but I want to fly 2.4 and openLRS. and not really far.. Thing is.. if you know South Africa, in the Free State its so flat and open, you can see your mother in law coming 2 days in advance, but there is a huge river running "vaal rivier" and I want to follow everyone on the water but the river is surrounded by trees.. 5.8ghz, runs for 800m in the open fields, but not 50m over the water.

the Orange openLRS (100mw) system runs 2.4km no problem over the open field, but no more 100m over the water between the trees (stock antenna) I know there is something I do wrong, but what. My 2.4Ghz DMS2 works just fine. I get the same range between the tree and over the water as I get in the open field.

so do I get 900mhz for FPV, then 2.4ghz and openLRS will work just fine? Do I have to use custom antennas for 0.5 - 1.0km radius flying?

can someone point me to some info on these.. I'm just getting more confused the more I read..

johanjonker

Ok, think I get that 5.8ghz is generaly not a good choise for anyone, but those that flies in an open park close range..

Think I going for 900mhz.. Its save for 433 and 2.4..

433 LRS for open long range and 2.4 for medium more dense areas..

I know my 2.4 is good between trees, I was just wondering why the LRS 433 did so bad between the trees, but so well into open space.

Dont see any reason for the LRS really..

Have you watched Stone Blue Airlines, "How to be Successful in FPV series" on the Flite Test site? It discusses the pros and cons of the different frequencies. In the end, its pretty much up to you to decide what will work best in your area. I'm still working that one out, myself! I think Alex has put together a 9 or 10 part series and its very informative:
http://flitetest.com/articles/How_to_be_successful_in_FPV_Part_1_What_is_FPV_

I just got my HK fpv kit 900MHz a week back. I did a fair bit of looking up online. Even I was confused a little, but then I saw the StoneBlueAirlines videos, which cleared up a lot of things. So yes, start out simple, watch the "simple fpv" video by FliteTest and that should help you a lot.