Confused on what to buy. Need advice! Leaning towards OpenLRS

demon646

rc n00b
Hello all. Thanks for being patient with me as I am a beginner :confused:

I posted this question on Flytron's forums, but haven't received a response yet. This community seems way more active and helpful!

I've been at this for about 4 days now, watching videos and researching sites like flytron and such to find the video transmitter and receiver that I need. I saw the review on FliteTest.com with IBCRAZY doing the stress tests and would like to know exactly what those 2 Flytron items are on the table with the other 4 sets.

I'm pretty sure I want the Flytron OpenLRS because I plan on using GPS and SimpleOSD with some 1+ Mile flights in the future so I would like the stuff I buy now to be able to do that too. I just can't figure out which one is for the video receiver.

What do I need to buy to hook up my GoPro Hero2 to my RC plane, AND what do I need on the ground to plug into my monitor?

This is my shopping cart so far on Flytron:

1) OpenLRS M3 1W Tx module for Futaba - New generation (M3) 1W Opensource RC Transmitter Module
2) OpenLRS Receiver v2 - New! Open Source RC Receiver v2

I have no idea why all the Transmitters say "Futaba" on them. Is this NOT the part that goes in the plane to "Transmit" video? Do I have something backwards in my head? Is this not the stuff I need entirely? I'm starting to think these 2 items aren't for video at all :confused: I want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Thanks for any help and/or advice! I really just want someone to tell me what to add to my shopping cart to hook up my GoPro Hero2 and my Monitor! :D It would be great if Flytron packaged the stuff I need like Hobby King does. Maybe I should just get the Hobby King package mentioned in the Flite Test vids... I dunno.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
You need to slow down. You do indeed have FPV and LRS all mixed up together. What you need to do is break it down into the individual systems and work on one at a time.

First of all, you are going to have two separate systems one for control and the other for video. For control, you will be holding the transmitter, and the receiver will be on the plane. For video, the transmitter will be on the plane sending video to the receiver back where you are. The two systems are completely separate from each other, but can adversely affect each other, which was the point of the LRS shootout.

Personally, I would start with the control system. Get a transmitter with a modular system so that you can swap in an LRS system later on if need be. Once you have that sorted, THEN look into adding the video portion. Get to know each system individually before implementing it on the plane.

Also, I would be concerned that the 1W transmitter signal would squash your video signal coming in. I may be wrong there.

So take a step back and concentrate on one system at a time and you'll have much better luck getting your system together.

RB

demon646

rc n00b
Woah! I WAS totally lost there! :confused: Thanks so much for your reply! I must have watched the LRS shootout video 3 or 4 times trying to figure out what was on that helmet. I was seeing the video screens he had set up and was not sure what signals he was using the attenuator on.

So they weren't really talking about the FPV systems at all...

Hmm...

So you said you'd start with the LRS control system, but would it be a bad idea to set up a cheap FPV system on my current planes and radios, THEN start trying to setup a new LRS system?

My main goal is FPV and a secondary goal would be more range. I'm not sure how far out I actually want to fly yet.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks again!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
To be honest, close in is pretty fun and truthfully, most FPV flights are done short range. You should get some gear that will let you try out at a shorter range first. Most of it will roll over to the longer ranges when you get there, only the Tx/Rx should have to swap out. Think of super long range FPV as Everest and you need to learn to get to base camp before you try for the summit. I'm definitely not trying to talk you out of it, just giving you what I hope is a plan to get there. I'd hate for you to go in blind and get discouraged. So, don't worry about the long range just yet. Get some regular FPV gear and try out short range with what you have now, adjust to being "under the hood" and then you'll be able to shoot for the summit with a better understanding of what you're in for and what to pack to get you there!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Beautiful!
What freq are you using for video that gives you good reception through the trees?

Are those your Hennesy's or were you just cruising the camps?

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Beautiful!

Thanks. It was an awesome spot. My best flight ever.

What freq are you using for video that gives you good reception through the trees?

I'm using 5.8 for video. Everyone talks about how it doesn't penetrate. While I do get some glitches and static, I'm using circular polarized antennas to cut back on bounced signal interference.

I've flown the quad at about five feet off the ground, all the way around my house, and never lost signal.

I'm using a stock JR 9503 transmitter, and a AR6100 receiver on the quad.

Are those your Hennesy's or were you just cruising the camps?

Those are mine and my wife's. The hammocks are home made gathered ends. Hers has an integrated bug net. Mine as one that wraps over the hammock. The tarps are from Warbonnet Outdoors. We were the only ones out there, except for the occasional car blowing by.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm using 5.8 for video. Everyone talks about how it doesn't penetrate. While I do get some glitches and static, I'm using circular polarized antennas to cut back on bounced signal interference.
Hmm...I am also using CP antennas...I guess I need to play with the orientation on mine as I'm getting LOS all the time. Something else to work on...

Those are mine and my wife's. The hammocks are home made gathered ends. Hers has an integrated bug net. Mine as one that wraps over the hammock. The tarps are from Warbonnet Outdoors.
Must have been the netting the threw me. The rainfly looked like the same shape, too. Me and the Mrs. have matching Hennesy's that we've never used...except in the back yard, anyway. I love a hammock for camping, sure beats sleeping on the ground for sure!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
THIS is awesome! All I need is... ALL that stuff! I can't afford the Fatshark tho :(

Thanks all!
You can make due with minimal gear. A decent camera that is small enough to fly on almost anything is the 808 #16 keychain camera. This is just an example of one, I would try to find one that will ship more local to you. You can probably find a video Tx/Rx combo on Hobbyking if they are in stock. Not sure what frequency you'll need, that will depend on your country. I got mine Tx/Rxfrom FPVHobby and it cost a lot more but it was what I wanted for features. I also got Cloverleaf antenna's from them for better signal reception.

Sorry I just realized you're here in the states... Reading is good! You probably want to go for the 5.8ghz setup to be legal here.

demon646

rc n00b
Awesome thanks! I think I'll try one of the really cheap hobbyking combos for $60 plus the wide lens if they still have it. I'll definitely research others before I buy one, but $60 is pretty cheap to get started!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
THIS is awesome! All I need is... ALL that stuff! I can't afford the Fatshark tho :(

Thanks all!

I've spent more money on the wrong stuff, when I should have just bought the Fat Sharks kit.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=165_107&products_id=1129

For $279.00 you're getting the glasses (which is your ground station. No need for a separate receiver), the camera, and the transmitter.

It's a great deal. All the wires plug right in, there's no cutting or soldering. You can't plug in the wrong wires the wrong way and short out your new gear. It's truly plug and play.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Awesome thanks! I think I'll try one of the really cheap hobbyking combos for $60 plus the wide lens if they still have it. I'll definitely research others before I buy one, but $60 is pretty cheap to get started!

You can do that, but you'll still need antennas, batteries, soldering, cutting, a viewing system, (you can buy a tv, and try to wire it up, and hope it doesn't go blank with static, or you can buy a set of goggles, and spend more than the Predator V2 kit), as well as a better camera. The stock camera the cheap kits come with (if it comes with one) are notoriously bad. Almost to the point of being unusable. I went out and bought a $60 board camera right away, hoping that would solve the problem.

Honestly, for the $270, you can't go wrong. The electronics are better all around. I really wish I went this route earlier. I never had success flying FPV before. In just over a week, I am able to fly between trees, over streams, above the trees where I wouldn't have flown LOS.

It's worth the little bit of extra money, for the success.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
There is that too...I tend to go piece by piece because I'm dumb like that, but with a plug and play system like the Fatsharks, there is no guesswork about compatibility.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
There is that too...I tend to go piece by piece because I'm dumb like that, but with a plug and play system like the Fatsharks, there is no guesswork about compatibility.

It was awesome. I have several 900 MHz systems kicking around. And the frustration of trying to get them to work pretty much ruined it for me. Then I never trusted the system, so I was always afraid to fly with it.

The Fat Sharks just work. There's no better way to explain it. I mounted the VTx and camera onto a piece of wood with velcro, and stuck it on my quad. I plugged my balance lead from my flight pack into the VTx, and plugged the charged battery into my goggles, and that was it. Ready to fly.

You just can't beat that.

demon646

rc n00b
You can do that, but you'll still need antennas, batteries, soldering, cutting, a viewing system, (you can buy a tv, and try to wire it up, and hope it doesn't go blank with static, or you can buy a set of goggles, and spend more than the Predator V2 kit), as well as a better camera. The stock camera the cheap kits come with (if it comes with one) are notoriously bad. Almost to the point of being unusable. I went out and bought a $60 board camera right away, hoping that would solve the problem.

Honestly, for the $270, you can't go wrong. The electronics are better all around. I really wish I went this route earlier. I never had success flying FPV before. In just over a week, I am able to fly between trees, over streams, above the trees where I wouldn't have flown LOS.

It's worth the little bit of extra money, for the success.

This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I've been looking at 2394342347 different components and parts and stuff for the past 2 weeks or so. I was really leaning toward the cheapo Hobbyking set in the
Flite Test : Basic FPV Setup - FAST TIP
video and was going to try to rig up some type of laptop screen / monitor, but you've changed my mind.

I can't thank you enough for your input and experience! I will order the Fatshark 5.8 kit on your link next paycheck :D

I'll upload a video in a few weeks when I get it all together!

Also, are you the David from the show? If so, I think you are a great part of the FliteTest youtube vids! It's always more fun when you're there for some reason!

Thanks again!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm not the David from anywhere. I'm the Fred.

I was in an episode, once... I'll leave it to you to figure out which one.

I agree, David does add an element to the show that just makes it even better.