Confused on what to buy. Need advice! Leaning towards OpenLRS

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can do that, but you'll still need antennas, batteries, soldering, cutting, a viewing system, (you can buy a tv, and try to wire it up, and hope it doesn't go blank with static, or you can buy a set of goggles, and spend more than the Predator V2 kit), as well as a better camera. The stock camera the cheap kits come with (if it comes with one) are notoriously bad. Almost to the point of being unusable. I went out and bought a $60 board camera right away, hoping that would solve the problem.

Honestly, for the $270, you can't go wrong. The electronics are better all around. I really wish I went this route earlier. I never had success flying FPV before. In just over a week, I am able to fly between trees, over streams, above the trees where I wouldn't have flown LOS.

It's worth the little bit of extra money, for the success.
Luckily, I haven't got too cash much in my setup, but that's because I already had the tools, most of the connectors and really the know-how to make it work. I am using the keychain camera with the Rx/Tx combo I listed earlier and a small monitor I got for about $30. It's too small to use by itself but I found that a fresnel lens makes it nicely usable. One of my current projects is building a hood with a fresnel lens built in. I think my loss of signal issues are my Tx antenna's orientation. On my hex, it's out to the side on an angle because the landing gear isn't tall enough to go straight down, and props are too close to go straight up. Not sure how much of a difference that will make but it will be on my list of stuff to try while I wait for the hobby funds to build up again to Fatshark level! It may not have anything to do with it. I might just have some interference out here on that frequency. Anyway, those are some of the things I'm working on in addition to more swappable builds and board tuning...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm not the David from anywhere. I'm the Fred.

I was in an episode, once... I'll leave it to you to figure out which one.

I agree, David does add an element to the show that just makes it even better.
I remember you being mentioned in one of the response vids...were you actually in one as well?

demon646

rc n00b
Ahhh.. well thanks "the Fred". I saw the "David W. CareBear Certified" under your name and wasn't sure. I'm glad you are here to help. I may just order the Predator V2 tonight.

I did happen to notice that there were different Fatshark models :( I can't go wrong with the Predator V2? Is the eye separation distance fixed? hmmm... maybe I should stop asking questions and go to bed! heh.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That's actually a good question. IP distance is a deal breaker for me when it's not adjustable...I have narrow beady eyes! :mad:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ahhh.. well thanks "the Fred". I saw the "David W. CareBear Certified" under your name and wasn't sure. I'm glad you are here to help. I may just order the Predator V2 tonight.

Yeah, that's in reference to another episode... not telling which one for that either.

I did happen to notice that there were different Fatshark models :( I can't go wrong with the Predator V2? Is the eye separation distance fixed? hmmm... maybe I should stop asking questions and go to bed! heh.

Yes, it appears to be fixed.

I noticed it's a tad wide for me, but once I'm flying, I quickly stop noticing that.

demon646

rc n00b
Awesome. I've done some research and it seems that none of the others comes with all that stuff for the price. Looks like my money is finding it's way to getfpv.com!

demon646

rc n00b
Well.. I did it! Didn't feel like waiting til next paycheck :black_eyed: Ow!

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
FatShark Predator V2 Video Glasses w/Transmitter and Camera 1232 1 $279.99
Subtotal $279.99
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Grand Total $279.99

RoyBro

Mentor
So you said you'd start with the LRS control system, but would it be a bad idea to set up a cheap FPV system on my current planes and radios, THEN start trying to setup a new LRS system?

Actually, I said to start with the control system and add LRS later if necessary. But if you already have a plane and radio, you've done that part. And if long range is your secondary goal, then it can wait until later. As for FPV, there's cheap and then there's easy. The cheap method is only cheap if you already have some of the components handy, like a small LCD monitor and camera. Otherwise, cheap can quickly become expensive and difficult.

I agree with FlyingMonkey about the FatShark Predator V2 RTF system. At $270 it is a bargain and you'll be up an running in no time.

demon646

rc n00b
OK, so next question, is what aircraft do you plan to put this on?

Don't you crush my hopes and dreams Fred!!! ;)

I've only successfully flown ultra micros so far, but I've ordered some of the scratch builds on this site. I also have a larger nitro trainer that I hope to get in the air someday.

I have some pretty bad orientation issues and really hope that FPV will be my calling.

The FT3D is on its way, but I'm hoping to get the first FPV flight in on the Spitfire.

I know they won't be the best for FPV, but I haven't found the perfect plane yet. Maybe the bixler? I really want the p51 BL from park zone too.

I'll probably put it on my nitro trainer first, then something faster and more fun.

What do you think?

demon646

rc n00b
I agree with FlyingMonkey about the FatShark Predator V2 RTF system. At $270 it is a bargain and you'll be up an running in no time.

Awesome. Thanks so much for your help too. I may still get the park zone trainer with the "Smart" system to try out the FPV first. I've seen that plane go from upside down and backwards, to level flight instantly at the flip of a switch. Plus its $299 for everything and still looks fun in advanced mode.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Just starting out, you want the slowest, most self stabilizing plane you can find. Something with a high wing, and a good deal of dihedral. This way you can take your hands off the controls, and it will level itself out. Even if(when) you get disoriented this will be a big help. Find a large clearing with well defined boundaries (a large park will do). This way you can fly around the boundary of the park, and you can't get too lost as long as you don't go outside of that boundary.

I'd suggest something like this...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I have some pretty bad orientation issues and really hope that FPV will be my calling.

Haven't flown FPV myself, but if you do, you need to be able to fly LoS. I play enough with electronic radio links to know even the best ones money can't buy still fail and know Murphy well enough to know it'll happen at the worst time. You need to be able to lift the goggles, follow your spotter's point, and fly back LoS safely.

A cheap alternative for orientation training is a simulator. The crappiest, ugliest, most Physics-less simulator will always teach one thing -- which way do I move the controls to go the *direction* I want. When you can get the plane in the "air", confuse the orientation (poorly coordinated snap-rolls do well for me), and glance at the attitude and know which way to turn, you should have orientation whipped.

If your control transmitter has a trainer port, all you'll need is a trainer-cable-to-USB or trainer-cable-to-audio cable, and a sim of choice -- there are a few cheap/free options. If you decide to go this route, feel free to ask, and we can lend a hand finding the cable/sim for your Tx and getting it setup.

demon646

rc n00b
I'd suggest something like this...

Woah! That was filmed right by my house!?! I've been to that indoor driving range several times :)

I think I should invest in that aforementioned Apprentice S 15e RTF with SAFE Technology by E-flite (EFL3100) to start out. It seems like it can pretty much fly itself. I really like the idea of hitting a switch and having the AS3X and other systems level it out for me when I flip a switch. The review on FlightTest is really good and it seems big enough to handle a camera and video Tx.

A cheap alternative for orientation training is a simulator. The crappiest, ugliest, most Physics-less simulator will always teach one thing -- which way do I move the controls to go the *direction* I want.
Yeah, I've been flying on MS Flight sims, X-plane, and about 10 different RC Sims for over 20 years :) I think that's how I picked up the Ultra Micro P-51D Mustang and had over 5 successful flights before gently landing on a tree branch :black_eyed: I still haven't really "Crashed" it after 7 or 8 full battery flights in low wind. I'm a true believer in AS3X now having had 0 training and only being self taught through Sims and youtube :)

If your control transmitter has a trainer port, all you'll need is a trainer-cable-to-USB or trainer-cable-to-audio cable, and a sim of choice -- there are a few cheap/free options. If you decide to go this route, feel free to ask, and we can lend a hand finding the cable/sim for your Tx and getting it setup.
Woah really? I TOTALLY need to try this out! Does it work with the DX6i? Can I make the cable or would I have to buy one? I do have a stereo audio cable I can splice.

Thanks so much!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Don't need to build one if you can tollerate radio shack. For a Spektrum radio, all you need is a standard 3.5mm mono-mono cable and a mic input on the PC.

For the setup on the PC, check out Smart Prop Plus: http://www.smartpropoplus.com

The install process is a bit confusing (use the generic, and turn your speakers down before hand), but once you're all the way through it and set up the channes in the sim, it's easy to get up and flying. With the TX off, Plug into your TX(will turn itself on, keeping the RF off) , start SmartProp and minimize to the background, then start your sim and you're fake flying on real sticks!

Haven't been flying long myself, but got the cable and clearview and destroyed thousands of virtual planes & helis. Picked up a old flybared Blade MSR micro-heli, and was shocked that orentation came naturally. I've read may threads and how-tos on how to work up to flying "nose-in", and was expecting another learning curve. Never had an issue with which way to move the controls. Now for throttle and twitchyness, I'm still WAY behind, but when I go, I go the way I wanted to with gusto!

demon646

rc n00b
This is TOO awesome! I can't believe I've had the ability to do this for so long, but never knew it!

You are the the Man Craftydan :) It's working very well and makes it much better for practice.

Thanks so much!

Edit: P.S. I've been a computer geek for over 20 years so install for me was a breeze :) My one tip for anyone else trying this would be to tell them that the SmartPropoPlus Console software needs to be running the whole time to make it work.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
My one tip for anyone else trying this would be to tell them that the SmartPropoPlus Console software needs to be running the whole time to make it work.
But if we tell them that, then we has to make them deadskies!