Constantly beeping Motor

Helixable

I have made my first scratch build for RC planes. When I connect the ESC to the battery and motor, the motor constantly beeps. Right now, nothing is connected to the receiver. I looked this up and it says I connected it wrong, or my minimum TX throttle is too low. First of all, this happens even before I connect the TX and connecting the TX only lets the servos work. Second of all, I have connected all the leads in the correct polarity. What do I do?
Heres some more info:
ESC: 30a
MOTOR: 2200kv
BATTERY: 2s 1300mAh

I'm 13 by the way :)

Attachments

• 20190528_175606.jpg
    20190528_175606.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Which ESC are you using?
If you can take some clear pictures that show all your wiring, so esc, motors and receiver I am sure someone here can fix it.

FDS

Elite member
The ESC is the yellow thing in your hand, Electronic Speed Controller.
Firstly I am concerned about the fact the motor seems to be sellotaped to a piece of foamboard. That is not safe and won’t survive any flying, it could cause your motor to fly off and the prop to strike your hand if you try to fly it like that. You need something more substantial and solid to screw the motor to.
Good job on leaving the props OFF for tests.
Also there is exposed plug on the motor to ESC wires, if those metal plugs touch each other the ESC will be destroyed. You don’t want any shorts in the motor wires.
What does the receiver end look like? You also usually need to calibrate ESC’s by turning the transmitter on with the throttle fully up, then plug in the plane , wait a couple of seconds, then put the throttle fully down. Again props OFF.

Helixable

The ESC is the yellow thing in your hand, Electronic Speed Controller.
Firstly I am concerned about the fact the motor seems to be sellotaped to a piece of foam board. That is not safe and won’t survive any flying, it could cause your motor to fly off and the prop to strike your hand if you try to fly it like that. You need something more substantial and solid to screw the motor to.
Good job on leaving the props OFF for tests.
Also there is exposed plug on the motor to ESC wires, if those metal plugs touch each other the ESC will be destroyed. You don’t want any shorts in the motor wires.
Lol, I know what an esc is :)
The motor is firmly hot-glued with extra reinforcement. It's just the lighting.
As for the motor leads, they are too small to touch eachother, but I will wrap them soon.

FDS

Elite member
Hot glue will not hold that motor, neither will foamboard. I have had one that size with a 10” prop rip off a 3mm thick plywood firewall and a chunk of double skinned nose. Mount it properly please. For your safety.
Nobody likes to lose a finger.
Electricity will jump across the gaps between those plugs. Spark plug contacts don’t touch each other, electricity jumps those gaps fine.
These are basic safety tips, not “tidy it up later” things. FT even did a video on the top 5 most common mistakes in wiring, that’s in there.

Helixable

Hot glue will not hold that motor, neither will foamboard. I have had one that size with a 10” prop rip off a 3mm thick plywood firewall and a chunk of double skinned nose. Mount it properly please. For your safety.
Nobody likes to lose a finger.
Ok. I will. I have to fix this problem first.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Constant beeping usually means that the ESC isn't getting a valid throttle signal. Make sure the Tx and Rx are bound and the ESC is plugged into the throttle channel on the Rx.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
I found this video, which has the same ESC as yours, it’s a bit rough but shows all of the process.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
One of my first quads in 2013 was wood and suppo 1450kv motors spinning 8045 props with hot glued motors.

All the tests were great but when I put the props on outside and spun up the motors, the hot glue melted and the motors flew off.

Days like that are why I recommend filming every maiden...

Zip ties worked better but eventually those failed also.

On many planes, the motor mount is the single toughest, most solid, heavy part on the craft other than the motor.

I recommend motor screws mounted through a solid, heat resistant, rigid structure like plywood or carbon fiber. YMMV :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @ElectriSean, the beeping indicates the ESC is not getting a signal. It sounds like your Rx is bound, you can control the servos.

Most Rx’s have a channel marked battery. This is a throwback to the glow fuel days, you don’t want to use this channel for the ESC. Depending on the brand of Tx you will want your ESC on channel 1 or 3.

So what channel is your ECS plugged into?