CONTEST - Dollar Tree Foamboard Scratchbuild

ExAir

Here's a contest to build a cool plane of your choice or design, made from Dollar Tree foamboard, with a prize a bunch of cool colored packing tape and holographic metallic tape from TapeBrothers.com. Check it out!

earthsciteach

Cool contest. I have WAY too many other projects underway to take it on. But, I do have 64mm and 70mm EDF units sitting around doing nothing... Argh! Damned ADD!

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Dude! I barely got through my Infineon build and then thIs shows up! We don't have dolllartree up here in canuckastan but I'll give this a try. Elmer's foam board here I come!

RCD

Woops, i take that all back! lol I listened to the video wrong. I thought he said you got those 3 colored rolls and 3 metal rolls. Sorry about that! lol

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Also lazertoyz.com tape rolls are half the length of tape brothers (55 vs 110 yards).

Thurmond

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Ok having said that please provide an alternate and cheaper source.

Thurmond
Those prices look pretty good!

But alternate sources:
Findtape.com
Fastpack.net - both of these have the "zagi" tape and generic extreme tape

Paperstreetplastics ebay store for all kinds of prismatic, holographic and sparkly tapes and papers...

Tritium

Fastpack.net is 2X as expensive as Tape Brothers since their rolls are 55 yards not 110 yards as Tape Brothers sells 8 rolls different colors 110 yards for $27.52 http://www.tapebrothers.com/Carton-Sealing-Tape-Rainbow-Pack-2-8-Rolls-p/opp20crain2.htm .

Findtape.com also is more expensive when you consider the length is NOT 110 yards per roll.

Both do however have some unique items of interest.

Paperstreetplastics has some very nice metalics.

Thurmond

Last edited:

earthsciteach

I just like the idea of building something and winning free tape, no matter what it costs. Hell, I'm going to build something, anyway...

How did this turn into "the cheapest source for tape," thread? Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth!
Just my opinion. Feel free to refute.

Tritium

earthsciteach, although the price of tape is a bit off topic it is not "entirely" off topic since one of the factors judged in the build is color and pattern scheme of the "tape" covering of the build of which I don't think I can compete with my current walmart sourced 'clear" packing tape. Tape for this build must come from somewhere and each of us is certainly interested in the cheapest, quality, source of tape to complete the build for the contest. Since ExperimentalAir (Ed) has obviously researched this in the past and has found tape brothers prices the best I simply thought it prudent to challenge (or prove) claims of cheaper sources.

Now I am with you. Back to the build.

Thurmond

earthsciteach

Thurmond - First, I discovered awesome duct (Duck brand) tape with crazy cool designs this week. It comes in everything from fluorescent colors to crazy prints, like zebra, flames, skulls and camo. I'm fairly certain you can buy it at Walmart. And, while searching for obscure hardware at my local mom and pop hardware store (God, I loves those places!) I even saw decorative packaging tape!

Second - where is "very rural Texas?" Heck, I graduated from a rural high school in Texas. VERY rural has my interest piqued!

Tritium

Thurmond - First, I discovered awesome duct (Duck brand) tape with crazy cool designs this week. It comes in everything from fluorescent colors to crazy prints, like zebra, flames, skulls and camo. I'm fairly certain you can buy it at Walmart. And, while searching for obscure hardware at my local mom and pop hardware store (God, I loves those places!) I even saw decorative packaging tape!

Second - where is "very rural Texas?" Heck, I graduated from a rural high school in Texas. VERY rural has my interest piqued!

Spur, TX roughly 101W by 33N, Entire county population under 5000 at last census. Walmart is 80 miles away. Duct tape is quite heavy compared to packing tape (I use Duck brand packing tape). There is a Do-it-best in town, I will check it. I have to do nearly 99 percent of my purchases on the internet due to gasoline cost to get to any real stores. I even bought my last 3 vehicles through the internet.

Thurmond

Tritium

Since I made such a big deal of the great prices at Tape Brothers I had to revisit this thread and tell of something I found when starting to place an order with them. Their shipping makes them a NO BUY FROM in my book. Total order for 8 rolls of tape is $27.52 for 8 rolls of tape ($3.44 per roll) and $16.90 Shipping.
Total for 8 rolls of Tape Shipped $44.42 ($5.55 per roll) :mad:No thanks! I'll use clear packing tape and paint if necessary.

Thurmond

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Right...stop talking about tape and lets start talking about our builds.....I couldnt get large foambord so i have made a micro delta wing and it looks realy cool...only problem is the motor i have put on it seems to have a fault when i throttle up it starts up ok then when i get to say two thirds power it just dies....any clues!!!!!....anyways hopefully this will stop us talking about tape

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yup yup, that'd be the timing. The ESC needs to be reprogrammed to spin the motor properly. Likely it needs to be advanced a little. Play with the timing settings on the ESC until you find a setting that works.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Since I made such a big deal of the great prices at Tape Brothers I had to revisit this thread and tell of something I found when starting to place an order with them. Their shipping makes them a NO BUY FROM in my book. Total order for 8 rolls of tape is $27.52 for 8 rolls of tape ($3.44 per roll) and $16.90 Shipping.
Total for 8 rolls of Tape Shipped $44.42 ($5.55 per roll) :mad:No thanks! I'll use clear packing tape and paint if necessary.

Thurmond
Yeah- I know the rolls of tape are smaller compared to Tape bros but I bought 8 rolls from fastpack.net
I don't remember what the shipping was like but it wasn't enough to cause me heartburn and I have enough tape to decorate a LOT of planes...