Continuation Of The Idea of Peter To Attach Planes Together

CatholicFlyer

I saw a plane that has the idea of Peter where they attach two planes together, called the Stratolaunch.

This huge double plane is still in testing, as a new way to launch space shuttles from the Stratus Phere, but if you could take the idea of Peter, where he attached those three small planes together, but in a bigger RC version.

Attachments

• 1507940147251-drlcss.jpg
    1507940147251-drlcss.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

CatholicFlyer

Well this plane will not be launching space shuttles but small expendable rockets to low earth orbit, the plane reducing the deltaV and atmospheric drag required to achieve orbit.

that big plane, so far it can only get up to 46 miles per hour taxing on the runway, doesn't seem fast enough to take off. Hopefully they figure out how to get more speed. I would like Flite Test to take up this design and create a large scale RC model to see if this design is flyable. I've been following the testing on Linkedin and not much has happened.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
These are initial taxi trials, it certainly has plenty of thrust for take off but when you are taking two planes and joining them together in an unconventional arrangement like this, you take it easy. Checking ground handling, braking ability, structural strength before committing to any form of take off. I expect this will launch its first rocket by mid-2019.

Last edited:

CatholicFlyer

These are initial taxi trials, it certainly has plenty of thrust for take off but when you are taking to planes and joining them together in an unconventional arrangement like this, you take it easy. Checking ground handling, braking ability, structural strength before committing to any form of take off. I expect this will launch its first rocket by mid-2019.

Ok, thanks, that will be awesome to see.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
yeah, pretty much, wing tips of that large plane touches and becomes the launching point for the space shuttle.

Its like the White Knight 2 which is used to launch the small rocket powered SpaceShip Two.

1024px-WhiteKnight_Two_flying.jpg

800px-White_Knight_Two_and_SpaceShipTwo_from_directly_below.jpg

I have seen a couple of RC versions of this. DamoRC Jnr and I did something similar using a rough Edge 540 twin pair to drop his Habu a few years back.