Continue to crash!

Jdfox1214

Hey all, Yes I'm new to RC Airplans. Just scratch build the FT Mustang with a 1045 prop, 3s 1300mah battery, 30amp ESC and a 935kv motor. Using a DX5e and AR6200 spektrum receiver. The first attempt to.maiden it pulled up the tail and tipped over to the nose and busted the prop and broke the landing gear. The 2nd attempt was a toss and it straight into the ground. The 3rd attempt it spun the prop right off. It's a little nose heavy cg about 35% back on the wing...all throws are in the correct direction but it still wants tip forward. Could it be under powered, wrong props? I'm not sure. If anyone has any idea what to look for or try it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
First thing is to repair the damage and make the CG exactly as per the plans.

Second thing is to ensure that you allow the plane to get more speed before you try to lift off and fly the plane. Hand launch at a higher speed!

Ensure that your control surfaces move in the correct directions and are not reversed.

If you have little or no flying experience then I recommend that you put the Mustang aside for later and start with a purpose designed trainer like the Tiny Trainer so that you can learn what the control inputs do and how to moderate your control inputs to suit the planes flying performance.

Just a few suggestions@

have fun!

d8veh

Elite member
It's a nice plane, but not really for a beginner. If you find a solution to your present problems, you'll most likely have a much bigger crash due to your flying ability. As above, it would be better to learn to fly on a beginner's plane before the Mustang. This is only meant as general advice for beginners, as I have no knowledge of your actual ability.

As far as your present problem is concerned, it sounds a lot like you have the elevator control reversed. The elevator definitely goes up when you pull back the stick, right? For what you describe, the CG would have to be a very long way out of position, which would be obvious when you test-balance it. RC planes generally still fly still fly when the CG position isn't right, but obviously it depends how much not right.

This might seem obvious, but we have to explore all possibilities: After you launched the plane, did you pull back the stick to climb or were you just expecting it to fly on its own like a free-flight plane?

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
it's a tail dragger, this is what they do. you need to ease on the throttle, get the tail up and level, then use your rudder and elevator to control it up into the air. this is not a first time airplane and requires some practice to get it to take off well.

good luck,

me :cool:

Jdfox1214

First thing is to repair the damage and make the CG exactly as per the plans.

Second thing is to ensure that you allow the plane to get more speed before you try to lift off and fly the plane. Hand launch at a higher speed!

Ensure that your control surfaces move in the correct directions and are not reversed.

If you have little or no flying experience then I recommend that you put the Mustang aside for later and start with a purpose designed trainer like the Tiny Trainer so that you can learn what the control inputs do and how to moderate your control inputs to suit the planes flying performance.

Just a few suggestions@

have fun!

Hai-lee...Thank for the info. I will give the tiny trainer a shot.

Have a good one and happy flying!

Jeff

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
All good suggestions.

Regarding CG, follow the plans. I like a CG between 25-30% of wing area. I’ll start at 25% until the plane is trimmed out. Then when I’m comfortable with the plane & piloting skills, I begin to move CG aft.

Regarding throws, stand behind the plane looking forward. Pull back on the stick (giving it up) the elevator should go up. Pushing forward on the stick (giving it down) the elevator should go down. Moving the rudder stick left, the rudder should go left. Moving the stick right, the rudder should go right. Moving the aileron stick left, the left aileron should go up, the right down. Moving the stick right, the left aileron should go down, the right up.

Lastly, find a club, someone who knows how to fly will be a tremendous help to you.

d8veh

Elite member
Regarding throws, stand behind the plane looking forward. Pull back on the stick (giving it up) the elevator should go up. Pushing forward on the stick (giving it down) the elevator should go down. Moving the rudder stick left, the rudder should go left. Moving the stick right, the rudder should go right. Moving the aileron stick left, the left aileron should go up, the right down. Moving the stick right, the left aileron should go down, the right up.
I know it's obvious to most, but just in case somebody didn't realise, that's standing behind the plane with the nose of the plane pointing away from you!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would also check over the fire wall and make sure you don't have same issue I recently did.

MY motor mount crushed giving far more down thrust making the plane want to nose in no matter what I did.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I know it's obvious to most, but just in case somebody didn't realise, that's standing behind the plane with the nose of the plane pointing away from you!

That is... good advice. Thank you. I will definitely try to keep that in mind when I maiden! :cool: