Contour ROAM Waterproof 1080P

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I just got an e-mail from Amazon.com advertizing an HD camera that caught my eye and I thought I'd put it to the forum to see if anyone had any personal knowledge about it.

It is called the ContourROAM Waterproof HD 1080P Hands-free HD Camcorder Watersport Kit
and it's listed for $119.00 which on the surface seems like an interesting alternative to the GoPro.

Anyone have personal knowledge of this item? Positive/Negative comments?

http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-W...IKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1362403957&sr=1-1

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
I have a Contour Roam 2. I like it a lot. It is waterproof to 1 Meter, which isn't much, but it would be fine for rain storms or a quick dip in the pool.

Currently I use it mounted to my motorcycle helmet or on a head band or hat. I do intend to use it on a Tri or Quad at some point. It is NOT suitable for FPV because being waterproof, there is no video out to go to the transmitter. If you have a two camera set up however, it would work just fine for the HD recording camera. It is easy to mount, and has a large sliding switch to turn it on and start recording.

RoyBro

jhebbel

When I bought my last camera i was deciding between this one and the GoPro 2 (3 was not out yet). and the deciding factor for me was image quality... I went with the GoPro because every video i've seen from the roam has had dropped frames and dull colors. Not a bad camera at all don't get me wrong, I just think GoPro has an edge over it, especially now with the GP3 Black.

Forklift

<o> <3 FT
My day job is media in a camera abusive environment. I have used these main contenders and many more. I would say that the popular choice is gopro, but i've had equal and better quality with other brands too depending on the application. The only one i've had glitches with is the contour. For the money, check the Drift brand. Here's a great comparison video. Gopro saturates colors so it's less natural and more involved to post process.

http://youtu.be/W5v36v2zpqQ

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I like the video. I can't claim to have a trained eye to catch the finer qualities so I also appreciate your opinion. I wasn't aware of the Drift.

Forklift

<o> <3 FT
The main plus side to the Drift series is the on-board video screen to check your angle of recording so you don't end up with hours of dumb shots when you pull the memory card out. GoPro has an add-on which accomplishes that, but it's $100 more last time I checked.

*edit* you can also turn the lens to adjust angle shot on the Drift just by turning it. So you can mount the camera upside down, but turn the lens right side up. Good for undercarriage mounts.

Last edited: