Contra rotating props.

Idle Crow

Is there any reason why one of these wouldn't be awesome in a Mustang?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210506-085246_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210506-085246_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
Is there any reason why one of these wouldn't be awesome in a Mustang?
NO, use if want! i have used two such in some planes at approx 900-1100mm wingspan. More thrustpower than by single motor.
A bit heavier than single though, so check CG.
And remember, they are just for max. 3S, producer didnt recommend try with using 4S

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
NO, use if want! i have used two such in some planes at approx 900-1100mm wingspan. More thrustpower than by single motor.
A bit heavier than single though, so check CG.
And remember, they are just for max. 3S, producer didnt recommend try with using 4S
If I remember correctly it also needs two ESC's which in turn adds more weight, I've been eyeballing that engine for a while now just haven't come across the right project yet

dap35

Elite member
I think the idea is better than the reality. We had a pattern competition last year and 2-3 people had these installed. Frankly, I was underwhelmed. I don't think it improved either the performance or handling. You could always tell when one fired up though.... that sound is unique.

Idle Crow

I think the idea is better than the reality. We had a pattern competition last year and 2-3 people had these installed. Frankly, I was underwhelmed. I don't think it improved either the performance or handling. You could always tell when one fired up though.... that sound is unique.

Taildragger

Legendary member
I feel like these mostly help with looks and reducing torque roll.

Idle Crow

Contras are only good where you have to sink a huge amount of power into a short prop disk or are modeling something that has them factory. They're not really as efficient as a large diameter single.
The LCF is definitely the main reason, but I also thought it would be a good way to get more power without torque issues.

quorneng

Master member
Piotrsko is correct.
Contra rotating was only used in full size if the power available meant the prop would be so big the tips would go supersonic or there was insufficient ground clearance for a suitable diameter prop or the torque at take off was a significant issue or all three!