Contract CNC Work?

KenJ

Anyone have any sources for small contract CNC cutting? I have a DXF file I'd like to have cut out of a small piece of plywood. Googling gets me a lot of links for building and buying hobby CNC machines, but nothing for some who does small hobby jobs.

Or do people just use a Dremel or hobby knife?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I generally cut my parts and frames using a scroll saw. Not as easy as watching a CNC do it for me, but if you've got the bench space, a nice scroll saw won't cost you much more than twice what a CNC shop would charge you. Won't take many projects for it to pay for itself . . . assuming you've got the bench space.

KenJ

Thought about that. The tricky bit there are the interior cuts like a board with strap holder slots. I guess I could do those with a drill. Thanks for the idea.

jeffbuck

I use a 3d printer for most of my parts and it works out great. i can help you out if that's something you're interested in

KenJ

I use a 3d printer for most of my parts and it works out great. i can help you out if that's something you're interested in
That's a very intriguing offer! I'll send you the DXF file this evening. It's set up as a subtractive file for a panel of 1/8in plywood, but if you could take a look at it and see what it would take to just do the additive parts that would be great.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
If you have a university around, check their website if they have a lab that has tools like you need and ask nicely :). Depending on the plywood, you might be able to use a lasercutter too.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Thought about that. The tricky bit there are the interior cuts like a board with strap holder slots. I guess I could do those with a drill. Thanks for the idea.

A scroll saw should be able to do that. Just go to YouTube and do a search, and you will see some of the things a scroll saw is capable of. It just requires changing the blades.