control boards for a newb.

What's up ladies and gents, I am getting ready to delve into the world of multirotors. Been doing a bunch reading about what it takes to actually build a quadcopter. I do though have some questions that I cannot find clear answers to via the Internet. Trying to find a control board that'll suit my beginer needs. I have been reading about the arduino uno. If I'm understanding this whole thing correctly I can purchase a board but then I'd have to program it to do what I need it to do? Is the board the only thing I need to purchase as far as the brains of the copter? And is there a program out there that covers all the basics of flight (altitude, gps, limits on altitude, gyro, etc) I guess I don't know what all the features I'll need are? Also size of aircraft vs board? Any advice would be greatly appreciated or even a link or two to some resources that might help me out.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
If you have time, I recommend going to rcexplorer.se and watching David's recent video on kk2 setup and tuning. Another video is a YouTube "flip 1.5 for dummies"

Those will give you an idea of how two popular beginner appropriate flight boards are setup, which may explain things and give you an idea of what direction you'd prefer.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I would say KK2 simply because of its lcd screen programming capability. You don't have to run home to your computer every time you need to adjust something.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I would say KK2 simply because of its lcd screen programming capability. You don't have to run home to your computer every time you need to adjust something.

With MultiWii, I actually use my phone and a OTG USB cable with an Android phone running MultiWii EZ-GUI. I like that it gives me more information on screen and I can also save the parameters and load different PID's for different styles of flying.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
The Naze32 acro is my favorite. It doesn't have GPS, altitude hold, etc., but neither do the other boards listed here. I think it's better to learn to fly without that stuff (and without self-leveling) anyway. You can always change FCs or experiment with the other stuff on a new build after you learn the ropes.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
With MultiWii, I actually use my phone and a OTG USB cable with an Android phone running MultiWii EZ-GUI. I like that it gives me more information on screen and I can also save the parameters and load different PID's for different styles of flying.

Yeah, I'm just not a big fan of the KK boards. I haven't owned one but got to fly a friends quad with one ... it flies ok but not quite as nice as MW IMHO. (I don't dislike the way KK flies...I just prefer the way MW flies) And to me the LCD is more of a liability than a benefit. I have no problems soldering tiny SMT components but had a hard time reading that screen outside and the buttons are so small I was constantly afraid of bumping the wrong one. After learning with MW and a bluetooth adapter so I could program from my phone the KK LCD/Buttons just felt limiting to me.

OTG is nice but BT is even better :) Having that on my first quad really spoiled me. Not having to bend over or touch the quad to tweak it - just whip my phone out and make the changes. Set the bar for my expectations kind of high :)

Not to mention the LCD is extra weight and one more thing to break and if it breaks you can't make changes without replacing the LCD. Nothing wrong with people liking the KK's - but for me they just didn't live up to my expectations. If they hadn't been chronically out of stock when I built my first quad maybe I'd feel differently :D

joshuabardwell

Mentor
MW with BlueTooth is a dream. I'd take that over an LCD screen any day. If you do go with KK, consider the new KK mini board, with the external, pluggable screen/buttons. Seems to me like it's a bit of weight savings, and once you've got your quad tuned, you can leave it at home if you like.