Control horns height.

Bbjen

The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

What is the height of your control horns.

Simple enough but I'm always wondering if I build them too high or too low...

MrClean

I like to go at least 1 to 1 if not 2 to 1 so either equal to the length of the servo arm or twice the length. That way 60 degree of servo throw would give you 30 degree of movement.

earthsciteach

Good question! I'm making a pair of control horns from 1/16" ply for my fpv wing at this very moment.

I look at it from a standpoint of the ratio of the length of the control arm to the servo arm. I just assume this to be 1. To put it in clearer terms, I make my control horn the same length as my servo arm. Then, drill three holes in the control arm to fine tune the throw by placement of control rod.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I personally drill out the end of a pop sickle stick and then cut about 3/4" back. I glue it in leaving about 1/2" out but I always go back and adjust the throws individually and such before flying.

MrClean

Yes, I have a full box of popsickle, errrr control horns, that I'm using too. Angle em, cut em off, drill em and glue em in. You can get two pretty ones right out of the box on the same stick and then either have a stick for doing things with OR with some rounding, more horns.

Box of like 400 sticks was 2 bucks at Hobby Lobbys sale. I'd have bought a couple boxes but they go on sale all the time and the last box lasted about 6 years.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer

I like it simple too;

its easy to answer, as I move it higher the less control authority ill have but more "control/finesse/resolution" ; the lower i place, more control authority, faster moves and change of direction, faster roll rates etc.

to my taste its easier to place close to the control surface and "dial it" on the radio with expos and DRs.

MrClean

Better to use as much control movement from the servo and reducing it with the length of the arm. You only have so many steps that the servo makes, lets be rediculous here and say your servo has 16 steps from neutral to full throw. When you mix out the throw you are getting rid of steps so 50 percent throw would give you 8 steps. 8 steps is kinda chunky control throw especially when you use one with every click on the transmitter trim. Now in real life thats 256 or 512 clicks, maybe more I forget. So it sounds like a lot but every click of trim on my radio is 4 steps If I've cut my rates down to 50% those start to be pretty big steps.

Make the control horn twice the size of the servo arm and you have the same reduction but maintain all of your steps for precise control.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Yes, I have a full box of popsickle, errrr control horns, that I'm using too. Angle em, cut em off, drill em and glue em in. You can get two pretty ones right out of the box on the same stick and then either have a stick for doing things with OR with some rounding, more horns.

Box of like 400 sticks was 2 bucks at Hobby Lobbys sale. I'd have bought a couple boxes but they go on sale all the time and the last box lasted about 6 years.

Soaking the "stick horn" with a very thin superglue does wonders for its strength!

Thurmond

leadpipe58

When started to make horns better to much then not enough.Wrong cost about 3 buck in foam board to learn that lesson.
I did not think about using the servo arm as a reference.
Thanks guy

1/2" to 3/4" is plenty