Control Horns

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about control horns. How many people make their own control horns ? What material do you use ? Do you have a print that you work from ? If you do have a print can you please post the drawing. I am working on a simple scout. The plan is to go with 3 channels right now.

Thank you for any input,
Al

whackflyer

Master member
I personally just use the ft ones since they’re fairly cheap, but I know there is people who use floss picks. Just cut them off about at the red line in the attached photo, drill a hole and your good to go. Some 3d print their own, and sometimes even pieces of gift card or old credit card. Just what I know. Have fun!

Attachments

• CA61C7B1-70D8-4584-A071-9D214A86D272.jpeg
    CA61C7B1-70D8-4584-A071-9D214A86D272.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 0

Keno

I have 3D printed some to try that approach. But just ordering from FT is probably is the best way to get them as they are reasonably priced. But if you want I can forward some STL or dxf files on my work. Whackflyer ideas is great idea and many use it. Happy building.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I've made so many I just cut them freehand out of credit cards. The only measurement is making sure the hole for the control rod is the same height as the distance of the servo arm hole to the pivot screw. Before that I used the control horn template that is part of every Flite Test airplane plan. There are lots of suitable materials from thin plywood, circuit board, old CD discs, and of course credit cards. Use your imagination.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have used credit card, I have used a credit card like Ed from Experimental Airlines does (less pullout), FT horns, 3d printed, and sometimes I use the leftover servo arms.

I cut the 2-sided arm in two at an angle, widen the 2nd hole (see below) and cut a slot the length of the width of the arm. and hollow out the foam a bit on the other side. poke it halfway through, dab of glue, and seat it proper. for insurance I dab the top side with some glue too.

I use Landscaping flag wire for cheap abundant and accessible push rods, However, they are Slightly bigger than the Music wire that comes with the kits. so the stock rod holes need to be scraped wider.
I need to get those Aim dental assistants @Gazoo

I like the AE credit method, and the leftover horns for simplicity.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I personally just use the ft ones since they’re fairly cheap, but I know there is people who use floss picks. Just cut them off about at the red line in the attached photo, drill a hole and your good to go. Some 3d print their own, and sometimes even pieces of gift card or old credit card. Just what I know. Have fun!
I have heard if this but have never seen it done. Do you have any pics of them installed on a plane?

Lol, never mind just seen it (y)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about control horns. How many people make their own control horns ? What material do you use ? Do you have a print that you work from ? If you do have a print can you please post the drawing. I am working on a simple scout. The plan is to go with 3 channels right now.

Thank you for any input,
Al

Your plans will have a page with these patterns on it. 1/16" ply is used by FT but you could cut them out of gift cards as well.

PRINT.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
To be honest you can use almost anything that has some rigidity to make control horns. In addition they can take on almost any size and form. In the past I have used PVC, Ply, PET, 3D printed, Dental floss pickers, Tin Cans, Gift cards, broken plastic toys, thin Al angle, and even the cases from old damaged servos. If you can envisage it then it most likely will work. OH! I have also used Du-Bro retail product as well!

As for pushrods the material choice is also huge, so far I have used Balsa, skewers, paper clips, music wire, welding wire, and just for something different braided fishing line in PULL - PULL control setups.

I am sure that with a quick look around you could easily find enough suitable material to furnish any model with control horns and pushrods though you may need to cut and shape the items to suit!

Have fun!